° empty

Judge: Land-taking restriction can go on ballot

JACKSON  (AP) — A judge ruled Friday that an initiative to restrict eminent domain can go on the Mississippi ballot this November, but Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says he expects the ruling to be appealed to the state Supreme Court.

Hinds County Circuit Judge Winston Kidd ruled that the proposal does not conflict with the state constitution’s bill of rights.

Barbour, who opposes eminent domain restrictions, said in a statement: “It is impossible for me to see how the court could rule that this initiative would not modify the bill of rights.”

Barbour’s appointee as head of the Mississippi Development Authority, Leland Speed, was acting as a private citizen when he filed a lawsuit seeking to block the proposed amendment to the state constitution. Speed says it would hurt job creation.

Eminent domain is the process government uses to take private land for projects ranging from road construction to industrial development. The proposed constitutional amendment would prohibit state and local government from taking private land to give to another person or business.

The politically powerful Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation sponsored the initiative and gathered signatures to place the issue on the Nov. 8 general election ballot. Supporters have said the amendment will protect property rights.

Sam Scott, attorney for the Farm Bureau, said this week that 43 states have adopted similar limitations on eminent domain “and they haven’t gone out of business.”

Speed has argued that Mississippi uses eminent domain sparingly and the legal process respects private property rights and ensures individuals are heard.

While eminent domain for economic development is possible under current law, the practice remains politically unpopular. Nearly 120,000 people signed petitions to put the eminent domain restrictions on the Mississippi ballot.

Eminent domain has been an issue in dozens of states since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a Connecticut case in 2005 that land could be taken for private development.

Barbour in 2009 vetoed a bill that would’ve restricted eminent domain. He argued that the restrictions would hurt Mississippi in its pursuit of big projects such as automobile manufacturing plants. The Democratic-controlled House voted to override the veto, but the Republican-led Senate upheld the governor’s position.

The eminent domain amendment is one of three on the Mississippi ballot for the Nov. 8 general election. The others deal with voter identification and the definition of “personhood.”

A challenge to the “personhood” amendment, which defines life as beginning at conception, is pending before the Mississippi Supreme Court. Attorneys in that case also argued that the initiative process can’t be used to alter the state constitution’s bill of rights.

News

Photo gallery: Jewish community celebrates Passover with Seder dinner

News

NASD graduation rate up, but still lags behind state average

News

The Dart: Vidalia man studies, takes care of family, too

News

Natchez Early College Academy Fun Day to help raise money for trip to Washington, D.C.

News

Parent University set for Thursday

News

Sunday focus: Voters to determine a quarter million in salaries May 10

News

Concordia Parish Sheriff’s Office investigates body found in Monterey

News

County seeking ambulance proposals

News

‘Suzi’s Girls’ remember lasting legacy left by coach

News

Natchez man killed in Ferriday wreck Friday night

News

Photo gallery: The bluff has gone to the DockDogs

News

Tactics in case surrounding alleged attack of parish DA questioned

News

Student charged in verbal assault of teacher

News

City back in court to determine damages in Roundstone case

News

Report: Cuts put school district $1.5M short

News

Faith and Family: R.V.I.C.S. helps Children’s Home

News

Photo gallery: Chalk artist inspired by God creates artwork at First Baptist Church

News

Man previously arrested on rape charges, charged with another sex crime

News

Natchez-Adams School District to pay $127K to former principal

News

Judge dismisses former assistant principal’s lawsuit against school district

News

City receives Urban Youth Corps grant

News

Natchez police make arrest in weekend attack

News

Natchez tourism director’s car left in limbo without commission

News

News photos: Ferriday fire