Police charge suspect in shooting
NATCHEZ — Police have charged the reported shooter in a Saturday shooting at the intersection of Beaumont and Bishops streets and dropped charges against a juvenile originally charged in the shooting.
Police charged Rovante R. Jenkins, 18, 3 Claiborne St., with aggravated assault after Jenkins reportedly confessed to the shooting, Natchez Detective Jerry Ford said.
Aggravated assault charges against Tywone M. Noble, 16, 27 Beaumont St., have been dropped, Ford said.
Jenkins reportedly shot McKinley Douglas Brady, 33, 15 Albert Road, multiple times early Saturday morning during a dispute.
Ford said the police department received a call at 4 a.m. Saturday from a woman on North Rankin Street who said a man who had been shot was at her house asking for help.
Brady reportedly had gotten a ride from a friend, Ford said, then passed out in the friend’s car. The friend dropped Brady off at an acquaintance’s house and asked the people at the house to take Brady home, Ford said.
Brady got into an argument with Jenkins and Noble at the house, and Noble repotedly pulled out a gun and shot Brady, Ford said.
Initial testimony from Brady implicated two shooters, but Ford said Jenkins confessed to being the only shooter. Further testimony from Brady and a witness confirmed Jenkins’ confession, Ford said.
Jenkins is being held without bond.