Cemetery murder case faces trialPublished 12:06am Tuesday, November 13, 2012
NATCHEZ — One of two men accused in the May 2011 killing of a teenager in the Natchez City Cemetery is set for trial this week.Harvard
Adrian Williams, 22, and Keldrick Washington, 20, were indicted by an Adams County grand jury in late March for the May 28, 2011, death of Quinton Brown, 17. Williams is set for trial Wednesday.
Washington will go to trial Nov. 27.
District Attorney Ronnie Harper said his office is ready to move forward with the case, and that the men are being tried separately because one of the defendants asked that their cases be severed.
The case began May 28, when a passerby discovered Brown’s body in the McPherson plot in the cemetery at approximately 7 a.m.
Investigators later determined Brown has been killed between 2 and 3 a.m. that morning. He had been shot five times, three times in the chest, once in the back and once in the head.
A handgun found at the scene of the killing was later determined to belong to Brown.
Williams was arrested and charged with murder three days later, while Washington was at the time charged as an accessory.
The grand jury later enhanced the charges against Washington.
A third man, Denzel Fort, pleaded guilty in March to the charge of accessory after the fact in relation to the killing. He has not yet been sentenced, and is currently free on a $40,000 bond. Police investigators said at the time of the killing the victim and the suspects all knew one another.