Photos  courtesy of Roy King  — Flames burst through the roof of a Pruett Street house in the northern part of Adams County as firefighters work to contain the blaze Wednesday morning.
Photos courtesy of Roy King — Flames burst through the roof of a Pruett Street house in the northern part of Adams County as firefighters work to contain the blaze Wednesday morning.

Unoccupied county house catches fire, alarms neighbors

Published 12:20am Thursday, May 2, 2013

NATCHEZ — A fire destroyed an unoccupied Adams County home Wednesday morning.

Neighbor Roy King IV said his mother noticed the fire at 20 Pruett Road at approximately 5:45 a.m.

“My mother heard the fire; she heard small explosions like paint cans exploding, and she said it sounded like gunfire,” King said.

Photos  courtesy of Roy King — Neighbors get a look at the damage on the back of the house Wednesday as firefighters put out hot spots.
Photos courtesy of Roy King — Neighbors get a look at the damage on the back of the house Wednesday as firefighters put out hot spots.

After calling the fire department, King said he went outside to watch the fire and take pictures in case investigators wanted to see what the early stages of the blaze looked like.

The structure was under renovation and was not occupied at the time, he said. King said he believed the blaze picked up as the flames reached cans of flammable liquid being used in the renovation that were stored at the back of the house.

The scariest moment was when the fire reached a butane tank at the back of the house, King said.

“Thankfully, the tank was empty, but when the fire heated up that tank and we heard the pressure release valve release and whatever residual gas was in there came out, I took off running,” he said.

The Natchez Fire Department and the Foster Mound Fire Department responded to the fire.

Officials at the Natchez Fire Department said reports about the fire had not been completed Wednesday evening.

 

  • http://www.facebook.com/lori.norris.7 Lori Norris

    Shame! As a person, who did NOT give their permission to have their image posted, I am upset at the audacity of this photo. We were watching years of memories burn. Report about something important! And their hasn’t been a cause determined by the fire marshal yet, so at least stop printing speculation!

  • http://www.natchezdemocrat.com khakirat

    Where is the back patting BOS at on building our north and south full time fire department for this is a disgrace that the fire departments are so far away and all the fire people can do is save the lot huh’??!! We want the ND to give us a feed back if they would be so kind on this issue!!! Country folks would like our home safe as the city folks for we are paying taxes and need action and not talk!!!!!

  • http://www.facebook.com/katherine.junkin Katherine Junkin

    I cant believe I spend most of my childhood in this house and now its gone….

  • http://www.facebook.com/passionfortrashin Terry Haynes

    What speculation? It didn’t state a cause of the fire but rather what may have caused it to escalate quickly after it had begun. Loss of a home is sad under any circumstances but at least no one was hurt.

  • Anonymous

    Get a grip!!!!!!!! They don’t your permission.