° empty

Students, teachers not injured in NHS fire

Rod Guajardo / The Natchez Democrat — Natchez Fire Department officials responded to a fire call at approximately noon Monday.
Rod Guajardo / The Natchez Democrat — Natchez Fire Department officials responded to a fire call at approximately noon Monday.

NATCHEZ A ceiling fan in a cafeteria employee restroom at Natchez High School overheated Monday resulting in a small fire in which no employees or students were injured.

Rod Guajardo / The Natchez Democrat — A ceiling fan in a cafeteria employee restroom overheated Monday and caused toilet paper and paper towels to ignite.
Rod Guajardo / The Natchez Democrat — A ceiling fan in a cafeteria employee restroom overheated Monday and caused toilet paper and paper towels to ignite.

Natchez Fire Department responded to the call at approximately noon Monday, but the flames, which resulted from sparks igniting toilet paper and paper towels, were extinguished by the time the firefighters arrived.

NFD Cpt. David Freeman said the fire was contained to the bathroom, which is located in the rear of the cafeteria, but caused smoke to fill the gymnasium.

The firefighters cleared the smoke from the gym and the back of the cafeteria.

Principal Cleveland Moore said the fire occurred in between student lunch periods, so no students were in the cafeteria at the time.

“All of the cafeteria employees followed protocol and procedure and were able to put out the fire with an extinguisher we had in the back,” Moore said. “Thankfully, everyone reacted appropriately and it didn’t escalate further.”

Natchez-Adams School District Operations Manager Larnell Ford said the bathroom would soon be repaired and the ceiling fan would be replaced.

News

Photo gallery: Jewish community celebrates Passover with Seder dinner

News

NASD graduation rate up, but still lags behind state average

News

The Dart: Vidalia man studies, takes care of family, too

News

Natchez Early College Academy Fun Day to help raise money for trip to Washington, D.C.

News

Parent University set for Thursday

News

Sunday focus: Voters to determine a quarter million in salaries May 10

News

Concordia Parish Sheriff’s Office investigates body found in Monterey

News

County seeking ambulance proposals

News

‘Suzi’s Girls’ remember lasting legacy left by coach

News

Natchez man killed in Ferriday wreck Friday night

News

Photo gallery: The bluff has gone to the DockDogs

News

Tactics in case surrounding alleged attack of parish DA questioned

News

Student charged in verbal assault of teacher

News

City back in court to determine damages in Roundstone case

News

Report: Cuts put school district $1.5M short

News

Faith and Family: R.V.I.C.S. helps Children’s Home

News

Photo gallery: Chalk artist inspired by God creates artwork at First Baptist Church

News

Man previously arrested on rape charges, charged with another sex crime

News

Natchez-Adams School District to pay $127K to former principal

News

Judge dismisses former assistant principal’s lawsuit against school district

News

City receives Urban Youth Corps grant

News

Natchez police make arrest in weekend attack

News

Natchez tourism director’s car left in limbo without commission

News

News photos: Ferriday fire