° empty

Demolition to begin for Fort Rosalie site

NATCHEZ — After a delay forced by the government shutdown in October, contractors are expected to begin today demolishing dilapidated structures at Fort Rosalie.

Natchez National Historical Park Superintendent Kathleen Jenkins said she is relieved to see the start of the work, which is in preparation for the National Park Service to open the site to the public in 2016 for Fort Rosalie’s and Natchez’s 300th birthday.

Jenkins said the demolition of the structures along Canal Street has been a long time coming and said she appreciates the community’s patience.

“As a citizen of Natchez, I’m very aware of what an eyesore that property has been for several years, so I really am extremely relieved we’ll be able to start,” Jenkins said.

Crews will remove eight structures and concrete slabs from the site, Jenkins said, and should be finished in two weeks.

The only two structures that will remain on the park-owned land will be the Stietenroth House that served as the park’s first headquarters and the log cabin next to it constructed as part of the former Fort Rosalie tourist attraction, Jenkins said. Stabilization and restoration will soon be under way on those two historic buildings.

The French established Fort Rosalie, located on the bluff, in 1716. It became the nucleus of settlements from which the Mississippi Territory was founded.

NPS will begin in January creating a concept plan for Fort Rosalie for recreational and educational development.

This process will review existing park-planning documents and will include public meetings to give interested stakeholders an opportunity to provide input, Jenkins said.

The plan, Jenkins said, will look at all the different aspects of what the visitor experience will be like at Fort Rosalie, from parking to where the picnic area and other features will be located.

The opening of Fort Rosalie is scheduled to be near the dates of the Natchez Food and Wine Festival in 2016, and Mayor Butch Brown has said the festival might be expanded to Fort Rosalie, where period food and beverages would be served.

 

News

Photo gallery: Jewish community celebrates Passover with Seder dinner

News

NASD graduation rate up, but still lags behind state average

News

The Dart: Vidalia man studies, takes care of family, too

News

Natchez Early College Academy Fun Day to help raise money for trip to Washington, D.C.

News

Parent University set for Thursday

News

Sunday focus: Voters to determine a quarter million in salaries May 10

News

Concordia Parish Sheriff’s Office investigates body found in Monterey

News

County seeking ambulance proposals

News

‘Suzi’s Girls’ remember lasting legacy left by coach

News

Natchez man killed in Ferriday wreck Friday night

News

Photo gallery: The bluff has gone to the DockDogs

News

Tactics in case surrounding alleged attack of parish DA questioned

News

Student charged in verbal assault of teacher

News

City back in court to determine damages in Roundstone case

News

Report: Cuts put school district $1.5M short

News

Faith and Family: R.V.I.C.S. helps Children’s Home

News

Photo gallery: Chalk artist inspired by God creates artwork at First Baptist Church

News

Man previously arrested on rape charges, charged with another sex crime

News

Natchez-Adams School District to pay $127K to former principal

News

Judge dismisses former assistant principal’s lawsuit against school district

News

City receives Urban Youth Corps grant

News

Natchez police make arrest in weekend attack

News

Natchez tourism director’s car left in limbo without commission

News

News photos: Ferriday fire