Suspect reportedly confesses to Beaumont Street killingPublished 12:03am Wednesday, January 15, 2014
NATCHEZ — The Natchez man accused of shooting and killing another man on Beaumont Street earlier this month reportedly confessed and was charged with murder Tuesday.
Natchez Police Detective Jerry Ford said McKinley Brady, 34, confessed to killing Kendrick Tolbert, 28, in front of a Beaumont Street house Jan. 2.
Brady fled after the shooting to Baton Rouge, where he was arrested Thursday night by the Baton Rouge Police Department BRAVE Unit.
Natchez police transported Brady Tuesday to the Natchez City Jail, and he was charged at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Brady, also known as “Doom,” and Tolbert were reportedly arguing over a cigarette around 10 a.m. Jan. 2 when Tolbert left the residence, only to be followed by Brady, who allegedly shot him in the back, with the bullet entering his right shoulder and exiting through his chest.
Witnesses said Tolbert was holding a 3-year-old child at the time. The child was not injured.
Brady was the victim of an October 2012 shooting at the intersection of Beaumont and Bishop streets, and was charged with shooting a man in October 2007 in a separate incident.
He has also been arrested several times on drug charges and for assault and domestic violence.