Weather conditions causing slow bridge traffic, school closings announcedPublished 8:50pm Thursday, January 23, 2014
NATCHEZ — One lane on the Mississippi River west bound bridge is temporarily closed as Mississippi Department of Transportation and Natchez Police Department officials attempt to move a stranded 18 wheeler.
NPD Detective Jerry Ford said the 18 wheeler is struggling to gain traction on the bridge because of the snowy and icy conditions.
Traffic is still moving on the bridge, but is moving slower than usual.
MDOT District Engineer Albert White said crews were working to put calcium chloride on the bridge to prevent ice from forming.
“We’re going to do whatever we can to keep the bridge open and running,” White said.
Other closures in the area include:
• Concordia Parish schools will be closed Friday
• Natchez-Adams School District officials said classes are scheduled Friday, but if weather conditions cause a closing, an automated message would be sent to parents by phone.
• Adams County Christian School will be closed Friday.
• Trinity Episcopal Day School will be closed Friday.
• Delta Charter School will be closed Friday.