Man charged with killing fiancee

Published 12:00 am Saturday, January 8, 2000

What started as a relaxing weekend in Natchez turned into a tale of murder for an Keithville, La. woman, police said Saturday.

Terry Carter, 37, came to Natchez this weekend with a group of five friends – including her fiance, Freddie Lee Ebey, 37, of Alexandria, La.

Early Saturday morning, Carter was found dead in her Lady Luck Hotel room and her fiance placed under arrest by Natchez Police for the crime, said Natchez Police Chief Willie Huff. Details of what exactly happened aren’t known, Huff said. A 911 call was placed from Lady Luck Hotel at 4:59 a.m. by a friend of Carter’s who had stopped by the couple’s hotel room to check on her, Huff said.

Email newsletter signup

&uot;This individual knew that Carter and Ebey had been arguing earlier at the (Lady Luck) casino,&uot; Huff said.

Carter was found fully clothed but unconscious in the hotel bed, and Ebey was missing from their room.

The caller told 911 dispatchers that Carter was injured and needed help. Paramedics and police arrived to find her dead.

&uot;It appeared that she had suffered some trauma to the head and face region,&uot; Huff said. &uot;We don’t know exactly what killed her yet.&uot;

Adams County Coroner James Lee, who has requested an autopsy at the State Medical Examiner’s office in Jackson, said it may be weeks before he has a definitive answer to how Carter died.

After finding Carter dead, Natchez Police secured a description of Ebey’s White Ford truck and put out an immediate call to area law enforcement to locate Ebey. He was found by Woodville Police at around 5:45 a.m. on U.S. 61. Woodville officers held Ebey until Natchez Police arrived and placed him under arrest.

Although the hotel room did not show evidence of a struggle, Huff said police did turn up enough evidence to place Ebey under arrest.

&uot;We found enough evidence to have probable cause,&uot; Huff said, but wouldn’t say exactly what the evidence was.

The likely scenario, he said, is that the earlier argument between the couple grew violent. Ebey will be arraigned on the charge of murder Monday morning, when bond will be set and a preliminary hearing scheduled.

Carter’s murder is the first in Natchez this year.