Police, schools continue to be aggravated by bomb threats
Published 12:00 am Monday, May 22, 2000
For the second school day in a row, Natchez police and fire officers spent the morning looking into fake bomb threats at area schools.
Both Natchez High and Natchez Middle received the bomb threats early Monday morning, the last day of school for the Natchez-Adams students.
&uot;It’s very aggravating,&uot;&160;said Natchez Fire Chief Gary Winborne.
Email newsletter signup
Police and fire officials were also called to Natchez High last week to look into a fake bomb threat call.
Monday’s call was similar to the Friday incident.
The police department received three 911 calls from a cellular phone around 9 a.m. saying bombs had been planted at the two schools. Police were told they had 60 minutes to deal with the situation.
Natchez Police Chief Willie Huff said he was certain juveniles had placed the calls. The police department is still investigating the source of the call.
&uot;It’s a time consuming process,&uot; Huff said. &uot;We’re working on it, and we feel pretty good we’re going to find out who called.&uot;
Placing a bomb threat is a felony offense and is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine.
&uot;(We) hope we can give them a sentence that will cause them to be deterred from what they’re doing,&uot; Huff said.
After the Monday call about 1,050 high school students and 730 middle school students were evacuated from the buildings while officials searched the campuses.
After the search was completed the students also stayed outside until the 60 minutes had passed.
&uot;We’re following the same procedure we did Friday,&uot;&160;said Natchez High Principal Brenda Williams.
Many of these students were taking their final exams when the calls took place.
&uot;The injustices being done to these students over here trying to do well (on their exams) is intolerable,&uot; Williams said.
The students were taken back into the building around 10:15 a.m.