Getting connected: Here’s where to go for power, cable and more

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 17, 2005

Learning your way around a new town does not have to be difficult. New Natchez-area residents have many questions about their new hometown, such as what to do with garbage, what banking services are offered and how to pay a water bill.

Garbage pickup

City residents are serviced by Waste Management Inc. Garbage is picked up twice a week at residences and at businesses as needed. For more information, call Waste Management Inc. at 601-446-9560. Adams County and Ferriday residents, and industrial sites are serviced by Preferred Transport Company LLC. For more information call Preferred Transport Company LLC at 601-446-9988.

Email newsletter signup

Utility connections

Most residents within Natchez city limits and in several parts of Adams County are serviced by Entergy, which provides electric power. For others in rural parts of Adams County, Southwest Mississippi Electric Power Association provides energy for their homes. Atmos Energy provides natural gas for homes and utilities throughout the county.

Water is provided through two main services: Natchez Water Works within city limits and Adams County Water Association outside the city limits.

Telephone services are provided by BellSouth, with a variety of other long-distance providers in the area.

4ATMOS Energy.

54 E. Franklin St., 601-442-4831

Average residential use for a 1,329-square-foot home is $383 per year, including central heat, hot water, range and dryer.


247 D’Evereux Drive, 1-800-368-3749

Payments may be made at the Ernst Pharmacy on Highland Boulevard, the Gifts and Glass kiosk in Natchez Mall, Family Check Advance on John R. Junkin and Metro Communications on N. Shields Lane.

Average residential usage is 900 KWH; average rate is 7 to 8 cents per KWH.

4Southwest Mississippi EPA


Average residential usage is 1,000 KWH; average rate is 8.4 cents per KWH.

4Adams County Water Association

678 U.S. 61 North, 601-446-6616

The minimum monthly bill is $12 for 7,000 gallons.

4Natchez Water Works

150 North Shields Lane, 601-445-5521


557-6111, customer service, connections

4Cable television

Cable One, 107 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, 601-442-5418

4Satellite services

Bluff City Satellites and Electronics, 527 U.S. 61 North, Natchez, 601-445-0540

4Naff’s Audio-Video and Appliance

135 Hwy. 61 S., 601-442-3061

Car tags

New Mississippi residents have 30 days from the date they move into the state to purchase their automobile license plates, which will be renewable each year at the same time. The payment is made to the county tax collector, who office is located in the Adams County Courthouse.

Boat tags

Forms to register all motor boats may be obtained at the Adams County Tax Collector’s Office in the county courthouse. The fee is dependent on the size of the boat.

Driver’s license

Driver’s licenses may be purchased for a four-year period for $20 and are issued by the Mississippi Highway Patrol after the applicant has successfully passed a computer-based test on signs and rules and a driving test.

Applicants for a driver’s license must be at least 16 years of age, and applications of persons under age 17 must be signed and verified by both parents and notarized. An attendance verification form is also required from the school attended if under the age of 18. New residents must secure a driver’s license within 60 days. A chauffeur’s license may be purchased for a four-year period for $25. Other commercial licenses vary in price.

Driver handbooks are available from the driver’s license examiner’s offices on U.S. 61 North near the U.S. 84 junction. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. The telephone number is 442-4879.

Vehicle inspection

The state requires that an annual motor vehicle inspection be conducted one year from the date of the prior inspection sticker. Licensed garages may make this inspection for $5 fee.

Vehicle responsibility

Every accident in which a person is killed or injured or in which property damage to another car is in excess of $250 must be reported to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety.

Driver’s licenses will be suspended after 90 days if the security is not deposited for the accident. This does not apply if the driver is covered by liability insurance. The state requires that all persons in front seats of motor vehicles wear seat belts. Fines are $25 for non-compliance. The state also requires that children under the age of 4 to be secured in child restraint devices. Failure to comply can result in a $25 fine.

MS Dept. of Motor Vehicles website:

Personal taxes

The tax structure in Natchez and Adams County is based upon the tax rates and assessment practices approved by the state Legislature. State, county and municipal ad valorem, which is a tax based upon the percentage of property, must be paid by Feb. 1.

State income tax returns are due April 15. Forms are available from the state Tax Commission in Jackson.

Where to pay taxes

Municipal taxes, ad valorem taxes and county taxes are to be paid to the Adams County Tax Collector in the county courthouse. State income, sales and withholding tax is payable to the state Tax Commission in 1577 Springridge Road in Raymond or the Natchez office, 317 Highland Blvd., Suite S.

Voting laws

In order to vote in Mississippi, a person must be a citizen of the United States and 18 years or older on the day of the election. Registration must take place 30 days prior to a primary or general election. A qualified voter should register with the Adams County Circuit Clerk’s office in the county courthouse. Registration is required to vote in all elections.

Marriage licenses

Marriage Licenses are issued by the county circuit clerk in the Adams County Courthouse.

Employment Services

4Mississippi Employment Security Commission

310 Briarwood Road


4Southern Employer Inc.

300 Main St.



311 Texas St., Vidalia, La.