Man gets 27 years in woman’s death

Published 12:00 am Monday, September 26, 2005


&045; Judge Kathy Johnson might have been looking for some hint of remorse.

But despite her repeated prompting, Undray Moore chose not to make any statements Wednesday before

Email newsletter signup

Johnson sentenced the defendant on a manslaughter charge.

Moore, 46, of Ferriday was sentenced to 27 years hard labor in the state department of corrections by Seventh Judicial Circuit judge Kathy Johnson for the March 2004 shooting death of Sharon Ferdinand, Moore’s ex-girlfriend.

&uot;The victim was an unarmed woman for whom he should have had affection,&uot; Johnson said. &uot;He should have been protecting her, not doing this Š I don’t find anything she did to incite Mr. Moore.&uot;

According to reports Johnson read aloud during the sentencing, Moore went to Ferdinand’s home on Maryland Avenue March 20, 2004, shortly after the couple broke up.

Ferdinand called the Ferriday Police Department after Moore attempted to enter the dwelling. Ferriday officer Rickey Hollins responded to the call. While he went around the back of the mobile home, where Moore was trying to get Ferdinand’s son to let him in a back window, Moore went back to the front door and fired several shots from a handgun at Ferdinand, including at least one in her back.

Moore then became involved in a struggle with Kalpatrick Wells, who was in the mobile home when Moore shot Ferdinand. Wells shot Moore, injuring him, after Moore came at him with a pistol. Wells hit Moore in the head with his pistol to subdue him.

Hollins went to his patrol car to call for backup. When help arrived, the officers found Ferdinand dead on the floor near the front door and Moore, covered in blood, on the floor near the back door.

Moore was originally indicted on second-degree murder charges in May 2004 before eventually agreeing to plead guilty to manslaughter in exchange for the second-degree murder charges being dropped.

Moore declined to make any statement during the hearing, despite repeated questioning from Johnson.

In a statement by Moore prepared as part of the pre-sentence report, Moore said he had been drinking heavily on the night of the incident and did not remember much of the night.

&uot;I don’t remember everything that happened that night but I just hate that it did,&uot; Moore said in the statement.