Fairbanks’ two goals lead Wave

Published 12:53 am Wednesday, January 16, 2008

NATCHEZ — Tess Fairbanks hadn’t scored a goal for the Cathedral Lady Wave all year. So who can blame her for wanting to double the fun.

Fairbanks scored both goals for the Lady Wave as they defeated the Natchez Lady Bulldogs 2-1 Tuesday night.

“I’m ecstatic,” Fairbanks said after the game. “I’m so glad we got this one because they beat us on Saturday (by a 2-0 score) and we wanted to get one back.”

Email newsletter signup

Cathedral coach David Gaudé said a change to the offense was the key to the Lady Wave avenging Saturday’s loss.

“We made some changes in our offense to be more physical up front,” he said. “We moved Tess up from midfield to forward and that helped us.”

After a scoreless first half, the Wave struck first in the fifth minute of the second half when Fairbanks scored off a pass from Anne Elise Rinehart after a scramble for the ball.

Natchez (4-8) wasted no time in answering when Jadtrl Heard scored off a corner kick two minutes later to tie the game at 1-1.

However, Cathedral (9-3) controlled the pace the rest of the game and kept the ball on the Natchez end of the field most of the time.

All the pressure finally paid off for the Wave in the 26th minute off a corner kick of their own.

Lissa McManus lofted the kick perfectly into the box where it was headed right to the foot of Fairbanks, who put it in the back of the net for what turned out to be the game-winner.

“You have to be there in the play and see an open spot in the goal,” Fairbanks said about her success.

While the Lady Bulldogs weren’t able to back up Saturday’s win over Cathedral with another, coach Lena Yarbrough was still pleased with her squad.

“I’m happy with the way the girls played,” she said. “Both teams played just as well as they did Saturday. Both of Cathedral’s goals were on scramble situations and it was unfortunate our girls couldn’t tighten up a little more. But we’re not disappointed at all in this game.”

Natchez boys 3, Cathedral 0

The Bulldogs got a sweep of the season series with a three-goal victory over the Green Wave in Tuesday’s late game.

Coming off a 1-0 victory on Saturday, the Bulldogs once again shut out the Wave on their way to the win.

Kent Calvitt got the scoring started with a goal in the fourth minute of the game off an assist from Ross Smith after an indirect kick just outside the box.

Smith scored a goal of his own on an assist from Calvitt in the 34th minute to give the Dogs a 2-0 halftime advantage.

Play went back and forth for much of the second half until Calvitt kick a ball that deflected off Cathedral’s Derrick Garrity’s foot into the goal in the 35th minute for the final score.

“It’s a big win for us,” Natchez coach Dennis Hogue said. “The last few years we’ve split on each other’s home fields. To sweep them is very big for us.”