Cathedral soccer teams sweep Wesson

Published 12:02 am Sunday, January 11, 2009

WESSON — What a game Lauren Smith had for Cathedral. She had a hat trick and an assist on one of Tess Fairbanks’ two goals as the Lady Green Wave shut out the Lady Cobras 6-0 Saturday morning.

Not even a 10 a.m. start or the threat of rain could dampen the spirits of the Lady Green Wave as they scored five first-half goals en route to the win that evened their overall record at 3-3.

“My defense played well. My defense was exceptional at keeping the game shut down,” Lady Green Wave head coach David Gaudé said. “I shuffled around my players today. We’ve been in a rut lately trying to score. I put my offensive players on defense and my defensive players on offense.”

Email newsletter signup

The plan worked wonders for the Lady Green Wave. Smith’s three goals were the first of her high-school career. Brooks Turner had a goal for them as well — the first of her career. But as Gaudé put it, none of their goals came easy despite the lopsided score.

“We got up on them in the first half. We had to work hard for them. They tightened up on us in the second half. Wesson played a good game,” Gaudé said.

Cathedral’s sixth and final goal of the game came in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Cathedral boys defeat

Wesson in shootout

WESSON — Cathedral and Wesson each scored a goal in the game’s first 20 minutes. That was all the scoring done in regulation as the game went to a shootout, with Cathedral prevailing 3-1.

Wesson went up 1-0 with a goal approximately 15 minutes into the first half, but Cathedral tied the game at 1-1 thanks to a goal by Cole Mann with an assist from Austin Walker.

“Mann scored on a nice, hard looping shot that went over the goalie’s hands and into the net,” Gaudé said.

With the game being a non-division game, it went to a shootout instead of going to overtime. Two of Wesson’s shots went wide and Aaron Sandifer made a great diving save on another shot.

Julian Stubbs, Derrick Garrity and Harrison Burns each scored for Cathedral in the shootout.

Natchez girls win while

boys fall to Lawrence County

NATCHEZ — Saturday afternoon’s soccer games between Lawrence County and Natchez High went on even though rain forced the varsity girls’ game to start 30 minutes late.

The Lady Bulldogs got one goal each from Shelby Guice and Miaya Allen as they defeated the Lady Cougars for their second straight win and third of the season.

The Bulldogs weren’t as lucky as they lost to the Cougars 5-1 to go to 1-9-1 on the season. Kent Calvitt returned from an injury suffered in a division loss to Jim Hill last Wednesday to score the Bulldogs’ only goal of the game.

“I started him out as a stopper. Then I moved him up front. They had us 3-0 and he eventually got a goal,” Bulldogs head coach Dennis Hogue said. “It was a nice chip pass from Estaban Roman. He chipped it over the defender’s head. Rather than going one on one, (Calvitt) chipped it over the goalkeeper’s head.”

Hogue moved starting goalkeeper George Bates to the field during the second half and put in Toddrick Mason at goalkeeper.

“We’re a young team. They’re more of a veteran team. We had a couple of scoring opportunities with George on the field. They scored two goals on (Mason), but he made eight saves,” Hogue said.