Tenants able to exit safely in house fire

Published 12:01 am Wednesday, February 5, 2014

NATCHEZ — A Lincoln Heights Road house destroyed in a fire last week originally reported as abandoned was occupied by tenants, who were able to exit the house before it was engulfed in flames.

Natchez Fire Department and Lake Montrose Volunteer Fire Department officials responded to a fire Thursday night of a house fully engulfed in flames at 16 Lincoln Heights Road.

Two engines from each department responded to the call at approximately 11 p.m. Thursday.

Email newsletter signup

The house was fully engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived.

Johnny Jackson, who owns the property where the house was located, said he was renting the house to tenants who noticed the fire and were able to exit quickly.

Jackson said officials have told him the fire was caused from small electrical heaters the tenants were using to heat the house.

The fire destroyed the house.

Jackson, who has owned the property for 15 years, said he plans to clean the lot and put it up for sale.