Juvenile starts sheet fire at Adams County Juvenile Justice Center
Published 12:08 am Friday, May 2, 2014
NATCHEZ — Natchez fire crews responded to the Adams County Juvenile Justice Center Thursday afternoon after a juvenile inmate reportedly set fire to a bed sheet.
The fire was started at approximately 4:45 p.m.
Juvenile Justice Center Administrator Kevin Nations said an inmate apparently was able to get his hands on a contraband cigarette lighter to light the sheet ablaze.
Email newsletter signup
JJC guards were not able to locate the lighter, Nations said, but inmates told authorities it had been flushed down the toilet.
Nations said the inmate, who was an out-of-county resident being housed in the facility for another county, will have a report filed against him and he will face charges in Adams County.
Adams County Youth Court Judge John Hudson said the juvenile could face charges of destruction of private property.
No inmates were injured in the incident, and the building did not sustain any damage, Hudson said.
“Our fire alarms are very sensitive and went off immediately, and there was never any danger since they got it under control very quickly,” he said. “Everything was under control before the fire department got here.
“Cotton makes a lot of smoke, and the fire department helped in clearing the smoke out of the building.”