Classroom equipment catches fire

Published 12:03 am Friday, September 4, 2015

NATCHEZ — A classroom full of kindergarteners at Frazier Elementary was evacuated Thursday after a piece of educational equipment apparently caught fire.

The incident, which happened at approximately 8 a.m., occurred when a Promethean smart board projector caught fire, according to a statement from the Natchez-Adams School District.

The class was engaged in a classroom discussion, and a student brought the fire to the teacher’s attention, and the teacher and teacher’s assistant immediately guided the students out of the classroom using the school’s fire drill procedure before extinguishing the fire, the statement said.

Email newsletter signup

“The children and teachers did a great job of reacting quickly,” Principal Cynthia Lamkin said. “The children were very orderly. We recently had a fire drill, and they remembered that drill today. I was very proud of them.”

Natchez Fire Chief Aaron Wesley was at the school at the time of the incident, dropping off his children, and — after the principal notified him of the incident — Wesley dispatched fire units to the building, which was inspected and given an all-clear, according to the statement.

The class using the affected area will use the school library until another room can be found for it, the statement says, but Lamkin said the affected room should be usable by Friday, with the exception of the damaged smart board.

The fire incident is still under investigation.