City decides to seek waste collection proposals
Published 12:05 am Wednesday, August 16, 2017
NATCHEZ — On the heels of a decision to seek better garbage collection services, Natchez aldermen Tuesday voted unanimously to accept proposals from waste collection companies.
The board decided last week to not renew the city’s current agreement with Waste Pro USA and accept new bids.
Email newsletter signup
Representatives from Waste Pro and New Orleans-based Metro Service Group were in attendance at Tuesday’s meeting.
Before the vote, Ward 1 Alderwoman Joyce Arceneaux-Mathis inquired about whether the city would seek weekly or biweekly pickup and if the city still plans to collaborate with the county on waste collection.
Natchez Mayor Darryl Grennell said he hopes to craft a request for proposals (RFP) so that residents would have a choice between weekly or biweekly collection, which could potentially allow residents to save money. Currently, pickup occurs twice a week for all residents.
Grennell also said he has spoken with Adams County Board of Supervisors President Mike Lazarus, who Grennell said seemed interested in the prospect of contracting together for garbage collection services.
In addition to the vote to accept proposals, the board approved a request by Grennell to consider the services of a third party to help craft an RFP.
The board voted to have Waste Tech, a company that Grennell said works with municipalities, draft RFPs, attend and present at the board’s regularly scheduled Tuesday meeting.
“They put together RFPs and put out there to advertise on our behalf to try to get the best deals for the city,” Grennell said.
Grennell said the board could decide whether they would like to take on Waste Tech or simply issue their own RFP following next Tuesday’s meeting.