Masterson’s gift a rare one indeed
Published 12:00 am Monday, August 23, 1999
By all accounts, the former Floyce Taylor Masterson had the rare gift of a love of life.
From her earliest days in Ferriday,&160;La., to her life spent running a ranch in the rugged lands of southwest Texas, friends and relatives say Taylor embraced all she did with a generosity of spirit and a commitment to making life better for others.
It’s no surprise, then, that the former rancher and astute businesswoman turned her attention in later years to Natchez, purchasing and renovating historic properties in this town.
Email newsletter signup
And those who knew her best say it should be no surprise that she chose to donate her recently renovated Van Court Town House to the Historic Natchez Foundation.
The sale of the 1835 property, located on the corner of State and Washington streets, could net the Foundation upwards of three quarters of a million dollars – the largest single gift ever given to the 25-year-old organization.
And, the proceeds of that sale will be invested in a new trust – aptly named the Floyce Taylor Masterson Trust – which will be used to award grants and loans for preservation projects throughout Natchez.
Through this generous gift – one which apparently echoes the spirit of a blessed life filled with giving – Mrs. Masterson ensures that her commitment to improving the qualify of life in her beloved Natchez will continue well into the future.
That vision, along with her generous spirit, make hers a rare gift, indeed.