Hounds have ‘biggest’ win over Trinity

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 18, 1999

It was the war of the wounded. But it was a classic battle in anybody’s book.

Huntington High and Trinity Episcopal went toe-to-toe for 48 minutes with the Hounds taking a hard-fought 30-25 win over the Saints in a key MPSA&160;District 6A contest.

Both teams are now 2-3 overall and 1-1 in district play.

Email newsletter signup

&uot;There’s no doubt this is the biggest win I’ve had at Huntington,&uot; said second-year Hound coach Jay Murphree. &uot;I couldn’t be more proud of this group of kids.&uot;

The contest started out looking like a defensive struggle as neither team was able to threaten the first nine minutes of the game.

A 10-yard punt return by Barrett Arthur gave Huntington possession at the Saint 32.

A 24-yard run by Collin Taunton, who would leave the game late with a knee injury, followed by two short runs by Kenneth Clayton moved the ball to the 4-yard line where Taunton went in from there. The conversion kick failed leaving the Hounds with a 6-0 lead with eight seconds remaining in the period.

Trinity tied the game on the third play of their next possession as William McGehee tossed a 62-yard touchdown pass to Cole Brown, who played despite a sprained ankle. The conversion kick was blocked.

Huntington answered even quicker as Hound quarterback Tom Terry Milliken faked a handoff to Clayton up the middle and took off down the sideline on a 70-yard scoring run. John Bass intercepted a pass for two to leave the score at 12-6 with 10:50 remaining in the first half.

Milliken had his appendix removed last Wednesday and the stitches removed this past Wednesday.

A 39-yard run by Luke Davis set up a 4-yard scoring run by Clayton. The conversion failed and the Hounds led 18-6 with 5:47 remaining. Trinity made it close just before the half as McGehee went in on a 3-yard quarterback sneak. Bobby Craig added the conversion for a 18-13 score with 1:19 remaining.

A 55-yard kickoff return by Arthur got Huntington off to a good start in the second half.

Milliken scored once again on the option, this time from seven yards out. The kick failed, leaving Huntington with a 24-13 advantage with 7:12 remaining.

Trinity went to a swinging gate offense, but the Hounds were prepared. However, a pass interference call on a fake punt put the Saints at the Hound 31.

Four plays later, McGehee ran to his left and cut back to the middle of the field, breaking several tackles on his way to the end zone. The try for two failed leaving the score at 24-19.

A 26-yard pass from McGehee to Brown moved the ball to the Huntington 30. Four plays later, McGehee and Brown teamed up on a 4-yard scoring run. The conversion failed, leaving Trinity with a 25-24 advantage.

Trey Mason returned the kickoff to the Huntington 45 and the Hounds moved down the field, losing Taunton on the drive after a 6-yard run to the Saint 21. Facing fourth and four at the Trinity nine, Davis carried it to the 5-yard line for a first down. Clayton scored on the next play with the winning touchdown.

Trinity was unable to move the ball on their next possession.