Police: Murder investigation continues

Published 12:00 am Sunday, January 9, 2000

Natchez police are still investigating the Saturday morning death of a Keithville, La., woman.

Terry Carter, 37, was found dead by friends early Saturday morning in her hotel room at the Lady Luck Hotel on Canal Street, said Natchez Police Chief Willie Huff.

Carter’s fiance, Freddie Lee Ebey, 37, of Alexandria, La., who had been staying with her in the hotel room, was missing.

Email newsletter signup

A 911 call was placed from Lady Luck Hotel at 4:59 a.m. by a friend of Carter’s who had stopped by her hotel room to check on her, Huff said.

Carter was found fully clothed but unconscious in the hotel bed.

The caller to 911 told dispatchers that Carter was injured and needed help. Paramedics and police arrived to find Carter dead.

While details of what transpired in Carter’s hotel room are not known, Huff said friends of Carter and Ebey say the couple were arguing at the casino earlier in the night.

The crime scene did appear to indicate a struggle had taken place, Huff said.

&uot;It appeared that she had suffered some trauma to the head and face region,&uot; Huff said. &uot;We don’t know exactly what killed her yet.&uot;

An autopsy was performed at the State Medical Examiner’s office in Jackson Saturday and results should be back to police in a couple of day, Huff said.

&uot;We’re submitting evidence to the state crime lab,&uot; Huff said, adding that police were wrapping up interviews Sunday with friends of Carter and Ebey.

After finding Carter dead, Natchez Police secured a description of Ebey’s White Ford truck and put out an immediate call to area law enforcement to locate Ebey. He was found by Woodville Police around 5:45 a.m. on U.S. 61 in Woodville.

Woodville Police held Ebey until Natchez Police arrived and placed him under arrest.

The likely scenario of Carter’s death, Huff said, is that the earlier argument between Ebey and Carter grew violent.

Ebey will be arraigned on a charge of murder Monday morning, when bond will be set and a preliminary hearing scheduled.

Although police are still &uot;tidying up&uot; the their

investigation, Huff said he didn’t expect any additional arrests in the case.