Cathedral seeks spot in South 2A State

Published 12:00 am Thursday, February 17, 2000

Cathedral High’s seniors wanted to go out with at least a trip to the South State Class 2A Tournament, after missing out on the South 1A State Tournament the past two years.

Tuesday, they moved a step closer to that goal by defeating St. Andrews 58-56 in double overtime to advance to the Division 6-2A Tournament semifinals today at St. Andrews.

Paul Barnett sank a layup with nine seconds remaining to give the Green Wave a 58-56 win in double overtime over St. Andrews in the first round of the tournament.

Email newsletter signup

&uot;I was just in the low post and Jeremy Hardie was dribbling the ball down,&uot; Barnett said. &uot;Jeremy dribbled to the left side and they all shifted. They left me open and he delivered a bounce pass to me. I thought there was more time than that. We got back and luckily they just missed a last-second 3-point shot.&uot;

Cathedral advances to a semifinal contest against Loyd Star Thursday at 8:30 p.m.

Cathedral was down by four points with five seconds remaining in regulation.

Lanoxne Scott hit a 3-pointer with five seconds remaining and St. Andrews threw the ball away on the in-bounds play.

Christopher Martin was then fouled on Cathedral’s in-bound play and made one of two to send the game into overtime at 48-48.

Martin made the second of two shots.

&uot;I just wanted to put more pressure on myself,&uot; Martin said with a laugh. &uot;I left the first one short, but I knew I had made the second one.&uot;

The game was tied 54-54 after the first overtime.

Scott led Cathedral with 18 points, while Zac Robinson added 14.

Scott fouled out in regulation after tying the game with his 3-pointer.

&uot;People doubted us, but we proved what we can do,&uot; Scott said. &uot;This is the biggest win I’ve ever been involved in. The guys really pulled together.&uot;

Scott said even if the Green Wave don’t make it to South State, the first round win is special.

&uot;This game gives us memories to last a lifetime,&uot; he said. &uot;It was great the way we were able to come back and pull it out.&uot;

Robinson said the win was very satisfying.

&uot;Everybody really stepped up,&uot; Robinson said. &uot;I don’t think we could have played any harder or better It’s something we are all very proud of.&uot;

Cathedral coach Terry Moffett took over the team in December after Bill Cameron passed away from a heart attack.

&uot;It had been a long time since I had been involved in a situation like that,&uot; Moffett said. &uot;We came from a 14-point deficit against Thomastown and had a chance to tie, so I knew the guys could do it.&uot;

Loyd Star swept Cathedral during the regular season.

&uot;I asked the guys when was the last time they won a tournament game and they said they hadn’t,&uot; Moffett said. &uot;The smiles on their faces said it all. That was a good high school basketball game.&uot;