Police continue search for missing Natchez man

Published 12:00 am Friday, March 3, 2000

Days have not been easy lately for Natchez resident Ida Davis. It has now been three weeks since her 42-year-old son Michael Chambers disappeared from his residence at 828 Martin Luther King Jr. St.

&uot;I cannot even rest,&uot; she said. &uot;It’s just done wore me out because I don’t know where he is.&uot;

In the past few days, Natchez police have been making extra efforts to locate Chambers.

Email newsletter signup

&uot;The family is just worried sick about him,&uot; said Natchez Police Chief Willie Huff. &uot;We hope he’s okay somewhere.&uot;

On Wednesday, officials spend several hours in the county helicopter searching area bayous for Chambers.

And on Thursday, 10 officers spent the afternoon around Chambers’ house checking vacant buildings and talking with residents.

Although, they did not gather any leads, the officers consider it a worthwhile effort.

&uot;Most people know him and know the situation,&uot; said Jody Waldrop, of the Natchez Police Department. &uot;You never know if you don’t get out and hit the streets.&uot;

Police are giving extra attention to the case, in part, due to the length of time Chambers has been missing.

Usually people who are reported missing return home in a few days, Huff said.

Thursday’s exercise helps the officers rule out any possibility Chambers is in the area, he added.

Davis last spoke with her son at 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 12, when he called to say he was coming to visit her 23 Beaumont Road residence.

He never showed up. The next day, Davis went to check on Chambers and found his house unlocked and his vehicle still at the residence.

Although, Huff said police have no evidence to support foul play, Davis finds it difficult to understand what has happened to her son.

&uot;He just wouldn’t have walked away,&uot;&160;she said.

Any one with information into Chambers’ whereabouts can receive up to an $1,000 reward by calling Crime Stoppers at 442-5000.