Women dies in Woodville trailer fire

Published 12:00 am Thursday, April 6, 2000

An 89-year-old Wilkinson County woman died Wednesday morning after her trailer caught on fire. Buffalo Fire Chief Dudley Carter said he found the body of Doris Carter in the doorway of her 1044 Carter Loop Road residence after the volunteer fire department arrived at the scene.

Dudley, who said he is Doris’ distant relative, felt grief for the entire community Wednesday.

&uot;It’s been several years since we’ve had a fatality from a fire,&uot; he said.

Email newsletter signup

Doris Carter lived at the trailer with her daughter Mary Carter Geter, 70.

The daughter told officials she was making toast in the kitchen when she heard a popping sound.&160;

After the fire began, she went to wake up her mother, who was asleep on the couch. The daughter then ran outside.

She &uot;thought (her mother) was coming behind her, but she didn’t,&uot; Carter said. &uot;That’s the way I understand it.&uot;

Instead, her mother only got as far as the doorway. &uot;The house was completely full of smoke,&uot; Carter said. &uot;She probably passed out and died from smoke inhalation,&uot; which he said was the cause of death the coroner had given.

Reports that Carter returned into the house to rescue a pet are incorrect, said Woodville Fire Chief Louis DaQuila. The fire department got the call at 6:35 a.m., Carter said.

&uot;When we (arrived) at the scene the trailer was fully involved,&uot; Carter said.

Experts usually give between five to eight minutes for a trailer to burn down, he said.

Carter said Wednesday he was not certain whether he would continue an investigation into the tragedy.

&uot;It’s definitely accidental,&uot; he said. &uot;There’s no doubt about that.&uot;