Police chase results in property damage

Published 12:00 am Monday, May 15, 2000

What started as a domestic incident at a Natchez house Sunday afternoon turned into a police chase that resulted in major property damage and two attempted assaults on police officers, said Police Chief Willie Huff. No one was injured.

Willard Earl Sims Jr., 19, of 312 Northview, was apparently still distraught over a breakup with his girlfriend, which had happened several months ago, Huff said. But Huff said police, who were investigating the incident Sunday evening, still don’t know what set Sims off.

At 12:12 p.m., Natchez police got a call from 312 Northview that Sims had struck his mother in the head and had knocked out the windows of three cars at that house before driving off in a maroon truck. As officers drove to the scene, they got a call that Sims had backed his truck twice into the Meadow Lane house of his ex-girlfriend’s parents.

Email newsletter signup

At the time of Sunday’s incident, Sims &uot;was out on bond for (allegedly) attacking his ex-girlfriend and breaking her jaw and on obstruction of justice charges for (allegedly) beating her up again after she filed charges on him,&uot; Huff said.

No one was home, but the side of the house where his ex-girlfriend’s bedroom is located was badly damaged, Huff said. The officers met Sims’ vehicle driving down Virginia Avenue, and one officer turned his vehicle’s blue lights on and used his vehicle to block the street, Huff said. Sims backed his truck up the street, then speeded forward in an attempt to ram the police car, Huff said. The officer drove his vehicle partially out of the way, but the patrol car was still sideswiped by Sims’ truck. Sims drove back onto Meadow Lane and attempted to ram another police car, with the first patrol car in pursuit of his truck, Huff said. Sims then put his truck in reverse and backed toward the first patrol car. That police car veered out of the way and into a nearby yard, but Sims backed up further and rammed the officer’s car twice, knocking it into a brick mailbox, Huff said.

Officers then pursued Sims’ truck all the way to Dumas Drive, where the truck drove through a fence. &uot;He saw he couldn’t get out any other way and started back toward Dumas,&uot; Huff said.

When an officer got out of his patrol car and tried to flag Sims down, Sims tried to run over the officer and his car, Huff said. After two officers shot Sims’ truck several times, Sims then stopped his truck and surrendered without further incident, Huff said.

Sims was charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and was still being held in the Natchez City Jail Sunday evening. Sims could face other charges when police complete their investigation into the incident, Huff said.

&uot;No one was injured, but this still a very serious deal,&uot;&160;Huff said. &uot;People must realize a vehicle is 4,000-pound weapon.&uot;