Judge sets bond for man charged in trooper shooting

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, August 30, 2000

VIDALIA, La. – A Jena man charged with attempted murder of a police officer is out of the hospital and in the custody of Concordia Parish Sheriff’s Department under a more than $550,000 bond.

Victor L. Barron, 38, appeared Wednesday in the 7th Judicial Court in Vidalia.

Judge Leo Boothe set Barron’s bail at $551,000: $500,000 for charge of attempted first degree murder of Louisiana State Trooper Mark Davis, $1,000 for charge of resisting arrest, $20,000 for charge of attempted disarming of a police officer, $10,000 for charge of fourth DUI, $500 for charge of speeding and $20,000 for charge of attempted aggravated escape.

Email newsletter signup

Court clerk officials said no date has been set for an arraignment where Barron will enter his plea.

Curt Parish, Concordia Parish Sheriff’s Department investigator, said, if convicted, Barron could face up to 50 years in prison for the attempted first-degree murder charge, 10 to 30 years for a fourth DUI and five years for attempted disarming of a police officer.

Attempted aggravated escape and resisting arrest are misdemeanor charges that carry sentences of six months each, Parish said.

Further investigation, a trial and &uot;various other things&uot; will later determine if Barron will serve concurrent sentences if convicted.

Barron was released from an undisclosed area hospital Tuesday and transferred to the Concordia Parish Jail, where he is still recovering from multiple gunshot wounds received during a struggle with Louisiana State Trooper Mark Davis Aug. 18, Senior Trooper Steve Childers said.

&uot;They are still having to dress his wounds and administer medication,&uot; Childers said.

Davis was also injured in the struggle with Barron, receiving one gunshot wound in the left leg and a broken right ankle.

Childers said Davis is recovering at home, and doctors are still unsure when he will be able to return to work, Childers said.

Davis stopped Barron on U.S. 84 just outside of Ferriday for speeding on Aug. 18.

After approaching Barron’s truck, Davis suspected him of driving while intoxicated, performed a field sobriety test and began to arrest Barron on a fourth DWI charge when a struggle ensued over Davis’ firearm.

Both men were transported by ambulance to area hospitals. Following ankle surgery and a short stay in Riverland Medical Center, Davis returned home and a complete recovery is expected, Childers said.

&uot;We’re tickled to death that it didn’t turn out any worse for (Davis) or Barron,&uot; Childers said.