Natchez girls win first-ever game

Published 12:00 am Thursday, November 9, 2000

The area soccer season kicked into action Thursday as Cathedral and Natchez High School’s boys and girls teams clashed at Natchez for both schools’ first game of the year.

Even though the Bulldogs are in only their second year of a soccer program, the girls team upset the Lady Green Wave 3-1. The Cathedral boys responded with a sound 5-0 win.

Natchez co-captain Renee Davis scored the first goal less than a minute into the game after stepping in front of a throw by goalkeeper Erica Rollins. Rollins fell trying to make the save, and Davis scored the easy goal.

Email newsletter signup

The Lady Bulldogs’ other captain, Amber Blake, also notched a first-half goal with an assist from Tammy Fleming.

Cathedral’s only goal came in the second half after Kelley Graves set up Kara Simonton. Simonton’s shot bounced off the post, but rolled in for the score.

Natchez’s Leslie Patrick, who had several first-half shots on goal, added an insurance goal late in the game.

&uot;I wasn’t expecting to win,&uot; Davis said. &uot;I’m happy. I hope the rest of the season goes like this.&uot;

&uot;I think the Natchez girls did a great job,&uot; said Cathedral coach Rocky Kettering. &uot;They came out pretty confident and calm. Ours looked kind of tight and timid in the first half.&uot;

So did the Natchez boys in the second game, as the Green Wave took a two-goal lead into halftime.

&uot;The first goal I attribute to inexperience and first game jitters,&uot; said Natchez boys coach Peter Rinaldi. &uot;The second goal was a good shot. Our goalie didn’t have a chance at it.&uot;

Cathedral scored first with 37:34 remaining in the first half when Christian Leurinda set up Johnathon Elliot for his first of two goals.

John Erick Myers caught Bulldog goalie Carl Hayes out of the goal for the second score of the game.

John Paul Kenda scored 10 minutes into the second half and Palmer Rinehart added a late goal.