Ferriday falls to Many Tigers in 2A Final Four

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 14, 2001

LAFAYETTE, La. – Ferriday couldn’t overcome Many’s second-quarter explosion, and the loss of Jason Scott, as it fell to the Tigers, 68-55, in the Class 2A semifinals at the Top 28 boys state high school basketball tournament Wednesday night.

Many outscored Ferriday 27-2 in in the final 4:26 of the second quarter, including 20 consecutive points during one stretch, to overcome the Trojans’ early dominance.

Many moved into Saturday’s final against the winner of tonight’s earlier game in the Cajundome between McCall and Isadore Newman of New Orleans.

Email newsletter signup

Scott, Ferriday’s leading scorer during the season, was hampered by foul trouble through much of the game and eventually fouled out with 3:59 left. He finished with six points.

Many’s Brandon Palmer, Cedric Davis and Dennis Sweet all scored 18 points.

&uot;I think we came out with a good game plan,&uot; Ferriday coach James Davis said of the Trojans’ ability to take a 17-8 first-quarter lead. &uot;Obviously it was to go inside to the big men. We were able to get good looks at the basket in the first quarter. In the second quarter, their defense stepped up, and for some reason we stopped getting the ball inside, and they started hitting big baskets. We stopped being patient. It’s over now. It was a pretty good ride.&uot;

Many’s smothering zone press fueled its second-quarter outburst. The Tigers took advantage of Ferriday’s numerous errors to stretch their lead.

A Ferriday turnover led to Many’s first lead, one that it maintained throughout the game. Palmer hit a scoop bank shot despite being fouled, and made the free throw to put the Tigers in front, 24-21 at the 2:36 mark of the second quarter. Many had forged the game’s only tie when Tim Thompson converted two free throws at 2:57. Many made 14-of-15 free throws during the quarter, including 10-in-a-row at one point.

Scott committed his third foul at 2:02 of the quarter and sat out the rest of the half as the Tigers pulled away.