Firefighters believe incense caused Tupelo Drive fire

Published 12:00 am Sunday, April 29, 2001

Burning incense is believed to have caused a house fire on Tupelo Drive Saturday which caused minor injury to resident, Myrna Matthews, after she broke a window to try to fight it.

&uot;As far as fire damage it was contained to the bedroom,&uot; said Natchez Fire Department Commander Oliver Stewart. &uot;The house itself received smoke damage throughout.&uot;

Stewart said Matthews was outside her residence at 100 Tupelo Drive when she noticed the fire at about 9 a.m.

Email newsletter signup

A neighbor called the fire department and Matthews broke a bedroom window with her arms in at attempt to keep the fire from spreading, Stewart said.

By the time firefighters arrived &uot;she had extinguished it mostly with a garden hose,&uot; Stewart said.

The firefighters had to put out a few flames still burning in a closet.

Matthews told firefighters she left incense burning on her nightstand and that might have caused the blaze in the four-bedroom brick house, Stewart said.

She received minor burns, cuts on her arms and possibly some injuries due to smoke inhalation, Stewart said.

No one was inside the house at the time of the fire.