Police catch burglary suspect days after release from jail

Published 12:00 am Friday, June 29, 2001

Police caught a burglary suspect red-handed on Wednesday – just days after the man was freed from prison on a previous burglary conviction.

Alonzo M. Hoye, 25, of 11 Claiborne St., had only been out of jail for about three days when police say they caught him inside the Pampered Sole at 508 Franklin St.

Police officers spotted Hoye inside the business after responding to a report of breaking glass.

Email newsletter signup

&uot;(That doesn’t) happen very often,&uot; said Sgt. Jody Waldrop, a criminal investigator with he Natchez Police.

Hoye ran and hid in a bathroom and officers brought him out by using pepper spray, police reports said.

Hoye had cuts on his arm which police believe were caused by breaking the glass upon entering the closed shoe store. He was being held at the Natchez City Jail Thursday on a $40,000 bond.

Investigators said they also believe Hoye was responsible for a burglary at Family Fashions at 600 Franklin St. as well.

Watches and clothing items were taken in that burglary.

&uot;We located evidence that linked him to the Family Fashions (burglary),&uot; Waldrop said.

In 1997, Hoye was convicted of burglarizing Family Fashions during August 1996. He was sentenced to five years for the crime.

Another arrest

In an unrelated case, police arrested another Natchez man Thursday and charged him with a string of burglaries.

Johnny Yearby Jr., 26, of 123 Old Horseshoe Lane, was arrested Thursday in connection with the May 15 burglary of King’s Tavern, at 619 Jefferson St., and the June 25 burglaries of Premo Stallone, at 86 St. Catherine St. and the Corner, on South Canal Street.

Nothing was stolen from Premo Stallone but money and liquor were stolen during the other two burglaries, Waldrop said.

Police are also investigating whether Yearby might be connected to other recent burglaries.

&uot;During that time period there were a number in the downtown area,&uot; Waldrop said.

Yearby was being held on a $60,000 bond Thursday.