State Fire Marshal says wiring caused Mardy’s fire

Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 30, 2001

FERRIDAY, La. – A blaze that destroyed the Serio Building on First Street Tuesday evening was caused by an electrical short in the rear of the building, the State Fire Marshal’s Office has ruled.

Investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office visited the scene on Tuesday night.

It took about 30 firefighters from Ferriday, Vidalia and Ridgecrest’s fire departments, and Concordia Fire District No. 2, several hours to control the fire.

The blaze destroyed the Serio Building and an adjacent building, both of which were used by camouflage clothing manufacturer Mardy’s Contracting.

Mardy’s was leasing the building from the Town of Ferriday. Still, Mardy’s owners Judy Cooper and Martha Whatley did not have enough insurance to cover damage to 31 sewing machines and other equipment inside the facility.

&uot;We went down there this morning to see what we could salvage, which was basically nothing,&uot;&160;Cooper said Friday afternoon.

Mayor Glen McGlothin has said he will help find Mardy’s a temporary location, but no facility has been found so far, Cooper said.

Mardy’s received a $124,000 state grant and $15,000 grant from Entergy late last year to renovate to the Serio Building to house its business, which was previously located in a smaller building on Louisiana Avenue.

The new facility was about three times bigger than the 2,560-square-foot that building on Louisiana Avenue.

Renovations to the Serio Building included replacing its heating and air conditioning system and painting and carpentry work. The business moved into the Serio Building less than four months ago.