MPSA: ACCS gets fourth-quarter TD to beat WCCA Rams

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, September 30, 2003

WOODVILLE &045; With running back Travis Allen out of the lineup, the Wilkinson County Christian Academy Rams could have been in for a long night against the Adams County Christian School Rebels Friday night.

Instead, the Rams gave the Rebels all they could handle and them some as the Rebels had to come from behind in the fourth quarter on a 50-yard touchdown pass from Dustin Case to Ray Simpson with 5:48 to go to pull out the close win.

&uot;We feel very fortunate,&uot; ACCS head coach Keith Walters said. &uot;WCCA did a good job. It was a physical game. We need to tip our hats to (Rams head coach) Paul (Hayles) and his staff.&uot;

Email newsletter signup

ACCS running back Luke Ogden, playing with a pulled quad, had 23 carries for 159 yards to go over the 1,000 yard mark for the season as the Rebels improved to 4-1 overall. But this Rebel team is more than just Ogden, and the Rams found that out.

WCCA (2-3) scored first on a 4-yard run by Duston Dor, who finished with 130 yards rushing on just nine carries, with 7:47 to go in the first quarter.

That lead, however, would not last long.

&uot;They outweighed us 50 pounds up front,&uot; Walters said. &uot;But after the first drive, defensively we played better. We’re not there yet.&uot;

ACCS took a 14-6 lead thanks to a 68-yard touchdown run by Dustin Case and a Cole Bradford recovery of a WCCA fumble in the Rams’ own end zone in the second quarter.

The Rams made it a 14-all game at halftime when Brad Pritchard scored on a 15-yard pass from Ruston Cado and Randy Harris added the two-point conversion by running it in himself.

The Rebels retook the lead on a 19-yard pass from Case to David Trisler nearly midway through the third quarter, only to see the Rams take its first lead since the first quarter at 21-20 on a 90-yard run by Dor, who also made the extra point.

&uot;It was a few big plays,&uot; Walters said. &uot;With Ogden hurt, offensively David Barnes played very well. The offensive line stepped up in the second half. Dustin and Ray also played well. We threw the ball a little bit better.&uot;

But it was the Case-to-Simpson scoring pass that sealed the Rams’ fate as the Rebels got the ball back with about 5:00 to go, got some first downs and were able to run out the clock.

&uot;Until two minutes to go, nobody knew who was going to win,&uot; Walters said.

Parklane 19, Centreville 7

MCCOMB &045; The breaks didn’t go the way of the Centreville Tigers.

Specifically, it was a bad break for Blake Devall and possibly another for Jennings Field.

Devall went out early with what was believed to be a broken arm, and quarterback Field was hurt later in the game as the Tigers dropped a 19-7 decision to Parklane Friday night in District 4-AA play.

The Tigers also had a bad break late in the first half with a 7-0 lead when a deep snap to the punter went over his head. The ball went down near the goal line, and the punter tried to pick it up and run and was tackled inside the 1-yard line.

The Pioneers then punched it in when Jay Shandy scored from 1 yard out to tie the game at 7-7 with 2:50 left in the second quarter, a score that stood until halftime.

At the start of the second half, the Pioneers started from their own 36 and got two first downs to the CA 40 before Shandy broke a 40-yard run up the middle for a touchdown for a 13-7 lead with 9:40 left in the third.

The Pioneers put up a drive in the fourth quarter that ended with a 1-yard run from Justin Jarrell with 3:50 left for the 19-7 lead.

Field went down in the third quarter after getting knocked down in the backfield and hurt his shoulder.

Briarfield 51, Tensas 21

LAKE PROVIDENCE, La. &045; Turnovers and mistakes put the Chiefs in a hole early, and Briarfield opened up to a 32-0 lead at halftime before rolling to the big win over the struggling Chiefs.

&uot;The first quarter and a half they played inside our 40 a good bit,&uot; TA head coach Chris Jacobs said.

&uot;They played us deep and kept us deep. We woke up in the second half, but the game was out of reach by then. They kept us with our backs against the wall and ran holes through us. We couldn’t tackle them. They’d catch one, squirm away and go.&uot;

The Rebels put up a 39-0 lead at the start of the second half when the Chiefs first got on the board when Tyler White hit Ryan Borsch for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

Later in the third quarter Borsch picked up a fumble and ran it 30 yards for a touchdown. In the fourth the Chiefs scored again on White’s 1-yard run, the team’s first rushing touchdown of the season.