Toddler Dies From Pesticide in Home

Published 12:00 am Monday, December 26, 2005

LUBBOCK, Texas – A family apparently trying to rid their home of roaches used an industrial-strength pesticide that released toxic fumes, killing a toddler and sickening four adults, authorities said.

The 2-year-old girl died Wednesday at a hospital a short time after she was taken there along with four adults. Two of the adults were treated and released and two women, 56 and 58, were in satisfactory condition, a University Medical Center spokeswoman said.

The pellets, which are typically for large-scale industrial use, such as a grain warehouse, were placed Tuesday in four locations in the house, fire officials said. The chemical, Phostoxin, releases a toxic gas when it comes into contact with moisture, Lubbock fire spokesman Chris Angerer said.

Email newsletter signup

The commercial pesticide is not available over the counter, and it was not clear Wednesday where and how the family obtained the pellets.

Police have identified a person who may have given the commercial pesticide to the family and criminal charges could be pursued, Lubbock television station KCBD reported.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)