Boys: Enterprise stuns Cathedral

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 8, 2006

ENTERPRISE &8212; After defeating Enterprise by 28 points at home earlier in the season, a lot of people expected Cathedral to roll all over the Yellow Jackets on Tuesday night in Region 7-1A action.

Especially considering that Enterprise, which will host next week&8217;s Region 7-1A Tournament, started off 0-9 in region play and 1-18 overall. But the Yellow Jackets had some revenge on their mind.

And thanks to the inside-outside duo of Corey Everett and Chris Fuller, who combined for 56 points, Enterprise defeated Cathedral 76-74 in overtime.

Email newsletter signup

&8220;We can&8217;t play half a game and expect to win,&8221; Green Wave head coach Peter Arnold said. &8220;We did not play the first half. It just shows you how little effort we played in the first half. We should have won that game going away.&8221;

Arnold was referring to his team&8217;s lackluster performance that resulted in the Green Wave (3-8, 10-15) getting behind 19-14 at the end of the first quarter and 37-20 at halftime.

&8220;We fell behind 39-20 at the beginning of the third,&8221; Arnold said. &8220;Then we came from behind and led by six. Fuller hit eight threes.&8221; Fuller ended up with 26 points.

Then with time winding down in the fourth quarter, Cathedral&8217;s Matt Goss had a chance to win the game for the Green Wave, but his shot in the lane did not go in and the game went into overtime. Goss led Cathedral with 26 points.

&8220;How can a team score 20 points in the first half and 30 in the third quarter?&8221; Arnold said. &8220;It doesn&8217;t make any sense.&8221;

Enterprise (2-9, 3-18) scored the first seven points of the overtime period and appeared to be in control. But Cathedral scored the next seven points to tie the game at 74.

With 11 seconds left, Everett, who led all scorers with 30 points, was fouled and made one of two free throws.

Cathedral had one last chance to win the game. Juan Gray&8217;s shot missed, but Matt Marchbanks grabbed the rebound. As Marchbanks went up for the putback, he got knocked to the floor, but no foul was called.

One of Cathedral&8217;s players said something, and the Green Wave bench was called for a technical foul. Enterprise made a free throw after time had expired.

Natchez High 53, Ferriday 51

NATCHEZ &8212; It was almost a surprise to see Cameron Logan all by himself under the goal that late in the game with the score tied at 51.

There he was. Cousin Kendall Logan fired up a short jumper from the side, but the ball fell off the rim right to him. He merely tossed it up off the glass to give the Bulldogs a two-point lead with four seconds left.

Ferriday had the ball stolen on its in-bounds play, and the Bulldogs claimed a 53-51 win over FHS.

&8220;The defense shifted, and I was all alone by myself,&8221; Cameron Logan said. &8220;Their big men stayed in just about the whole ball game.&8221;

The shot was the final blow to a Ferriday team that struggled both hitting its free throws and executing an offense against the Bulldogs&8217; 2-3 zone defense. Ferriday hit five of 15 free throws in the fourth quarter and had just two buckets in the halfcourt &8212; two more came courtesy of transition.

Ferriday led 48-44 with 2:59 left in the game.

&8220;It all boils down to free throws,&8221; FHS assistant Glenn Henderson said. &8220;We didn&8217;t execute the offense and missed some opportunities at the end. Our inside game, we didn&8217;t execute like we had been. (Free throws) is the story right there. That&8217;s been the story the whole season.&8221;

Ferriday led 51-48 with 49 seconds left before Kenny Robinson drained a 3-pointer with 35 seconds left to tie it up.

Jeremy Houston led Natchez with 13. Eric Crump led Ferriday with 24.

Forest 70, Monterey 46

MONTEREY &8212; Forest opened the game with a solid first half to claim a 40-29 lead at the break, and a 21-9 advantage in the third quarter virtually put the game away.

Monterey (0-5, 7-20) trailed 61-38 heading into the fourth. Matt Shively led MHS with 13.

Vidalia 74, Tioga 60

VIDALIA &8212; The Vikings rallied from an 18-7 deficit after one quarter of play by outscoring the Indians 28-14 in the second quarter and never relinquished their lead.

Brandon Hawkins had 20 points, and Jeremy Riggs added 15 points to lead Vidalia (14-12).

Tylertown 67, Franklin 65 (2 OT)

TYLERTOWN &8212; The Bulldogs (8-4, 11-8) needed a win to stay in second place by themselves in Region 7-3A, but they were stunned by the Chiefs (6-4, 10-13) in double overtime.