Family loses &8216;everything&8217; in house fire

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 22, 2006

NATCHEZ &8212; A family whose home was destroyed by fire over the weekend is asking for help from the community.

Ruby Carman, her son and daughter and three grandchildren lost everything when their Lake Montrose Road trailer burned Saturday.

Carman and her 3- and 4-year-old grandchildren were in the home when the fire started.

Email newsletter signup

&8220;The 4-year-old came and woke me up,&8221; she said. &8220;I was able to get my purse with social security cards in it and just walked out.&8221;

The fire started around 8 a.m., and no one was injured.

Carman&8217;s daughter Gabrielle was in the hospital after the birth of her daughter on March 9. The baby was premature and is still in the hospital.

Gabrielle Carman and the other two children are staying with friends. Ruby Carman and her son are staying in a borrowed camper on land she owns near the burned trailer.

Nettles Mobile Home has donated a doublewide trailer, Gabrielle said, but it needs a lot of construction work. And the Carmans also need things to furnish the trailer.

&8220;Anything you can think of we need it,&8221; Gabrielle said. &8220;Everything.&8221;

Ruby has also asked for building supplies like vinyl siding, lumber and nails, and household items like towels, sheets and fire alarms.

The Natchez Fire Department and a volunteer fire department responded to the fire. The fire report says the fire started near upholstered furniture.

An account has been set up at Concordia Bank for the family.

Ruby can be contacted at 601-597-0022 and Gabrielle can be contacted at 601-442-6474.