Lady Waves fall short

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 29, 2006

NATCHEZ &8212; Christina Finks was a one-person scoring machine for the Wesson Lady Cobras. Literally. And there was nothing Cathedral could do to stop her.

Finks scored all five goals for Wesson, including the game-winner on a breakaway with just under three minutes remaining in the second half to give the Lady Cobras a 5-4 win over the Lady Green Wave Tuesday night.

In the Division 7-1A/2A/3A opener for both teams, Finks scored a goal in the final two minutes of the first half to break a 2-2 tie, then scored another goal in the second half to break a 3-3 tie.

Email newsletter signup

&8220;If their No. 6 hadn&8217;t played, it would&8217;ve been a different game,&8221; Lady Waves head coach David Gaud/ said. &8220;Our defense was doing a fantastic job of containing everyone but her. She&8217;s an excellent player.&8221;

Megan Whittington scored the first goal for Cathedral (0-4, 0-1) with an assist by Kalin Kirkwood at the 14th minute of the first half. Christina Brumfield made it a 2-2 game on an indirect kick at the 16th minute of the half before Finks gave Wesson (1-0 in division play) the lead at the break.

Brumfield scored her second goal of the game on a penalty kick early in the second half to tie the score at 3-3. After Finks&8217; fourth goal of the game, Tess Fairbanks scored at the 31st minute that started with a pass by Maddie Kirkwood to Whittington, who crossed it in front of the face of the goal.

&8220;A perfect bit of teamwork,&8221; Gaud/ said. &8220;It was a good game. It was a hard-fought game.&8221;

Gaud/ said that the eight-day layoff between games because of the Thanksgiving break was also a factor.

&8220;We could&8217;ve been a little sharper. We were a step behind for the first 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes of the first half and the entire second half, we got things moving.&8221;

Cathedral boys 3, Wesson 2

NATCHEZ &8212; John O&8217;Beirne&8217;s shot in extra time of the 80th minute of the game just got out of the reach of Wesson&8217;s goalkeeper and into the top left corner of the goal for the game-winner to give the Green Wave the win.

Wesson (0-1 in division play) took a 1-0 lead on Carlos Camacho&8217;s goal at the 30th minute of the first half on a laser shot that went into the back of the net.

Cathedral (2-1-1, 1-0) tied the game at 1-1 at the 32nd minute of the half when Hunter Foster scored a goal in a most unusual way.

&8220;Hunter had a shot that bounced off the goalie. The ball was bouncing around in front of the net,&8221; Green Wave head coach Rick Freeman said. &8220;He was on the ground and eventually got a foot on it again. A good second effort.&8221;

Cathedral took a 2-1 lead at the 48th minute of the second half off a corner kick by Harrison Burns before Wesson tied it up on a goal by Kyle Kearney at the 61st minute.

Despite the win, Freeman was not happy with the team&8217;s lack of aggressiveness in the first half.

&8220;Wesson was more aggressive. We didn&8217;t really challenge them,&8221; Freeman said. &8220;In the second half, they were more aggressive, but we sill missed a lot of shots. Overall, we still have a lot of room for improvement.&8221;