Wave soccer begins

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 29, 2006

NATCHEZ &8212; Two years ago, Alaina Malone was a member of Cathedral&8217;s varsity girls soccer team as a sophomore

Fast forward to 2006 and Malone is a senior with the McComb Lady Tigers. And on Thursday night, Malone made her return to D&8217;Evereaux Stadium a memorable one as she scored a goal in McComb&8217;s 3-1 win over Cathedral.

&8220;This was our first game and this was their fourth, so that made a lot of difference,&8221; Lady Green Wave head coach David Gaud/ said. &8220;The kids did a good job and I&8217;m proud of the way they played.

Email newsletter signup

McComb improved to 2-0 as two other games were played in a tournament and do not count in its standings.

Kristina Brumfield scored the first goal of the game at the 12-minute mark of the first half, giving Cathedral (0-1) a 1-0 lead. However, that would be the only goal of the game for the Lady Green Wave.

&8220;We threatened several times,&8221; Gaud/ said. &8220;We gave their goalkeeper a good workout. She had three or four, not spectacular, but routine saves. We didn&8217;t work up any intensity until halfway through the first half.&8221;

McComb (2-0) scored its first goal 25 minutes into the first half to tie the game at 1-1 and took the lead for good 34 minutes into the half.

The Lady Tigers added a goal 13 minutes into the second half.

Malone wasn&8217;t the only Lady Tiger to make her mark on the game. Fellow senior Niara Crimeel scored two goals.

Cathedral boys 3, McComb 0

NATCHEZ &8212; John O&8217;Beirne and Eric Hollowell each scored a goal in the first half and Chris Griffiths added a goal in the second half as the Green Wave kicked off its season with a shutout win over the Tigers.

O&8217;Beirne scored in the ninth minute of the first half with an assist from David Jeanson. His shot from the right side hit the far corner of the goal.

&8220;It was a laser,&8221; Green Wave head coach Rick Freeman said.

Hollowell scored on a penalty kick at the 25th minute of the first half to give Cathedral a 2-0 halftime lead. Griffiths scored at the 38th minute of the second half as his goal from center left of the goal went into the far post.

&8220;It was a real hard-fought game,&8221; Freeman said. &8220;They didn&8217;t get many shots on goal. It was a good team performance.&8221;

Cathedral (1-0) used two goalkeepers in the game. Jesse Morrison had three saves in the first half and Logan Brown had four saves in the second half.