Bulldogs lose matches to North Pike

Published 6:00 am Tuesday, December 19, 2006

After getting off to a 5-0 start, the Natchez High Lady Bulldogs are on a two-game losing streak after falling to the Wesson Lady Cobras 7-1 Monday night.

Natchez High lost to the North Pike Lady Jaguars 4-1 last Saturday night.

Jadtrl Heard score the only goal for the Lady Bulldogs in both games. Her goal in the Wesson game came in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Email newsletter signup

“I have no subs. I have three starters out, one sick and two injured,” Lady Bulldogs head coach Lena Yarbrough said. “Erica Singleton got a broken foot in the Cathedral game. Carmen Pittman, one of our defensive players, we’re waiting on the MRI.”

Pittman injured her knee in the Jim Hill game back on Dec. 8. Yarbrough said she hopes to have Pittman back in a few weeks, but she may end up being out for the season.

Shelby Guice, one of the Lady Bulldogs’ center-forwards, was unable to play because of the flu. Guice should be back for Friday night’s home game against North Pike.

Both Wesson and Natchez High scored a goal early in the first half and the score remained 1-1 until late in the half when the Lady Cobras took the lead for good.

“The girls got tired,” Yarbrough said. “I’m trying to keep them healthy for district.”

Wesson boys 4, Natchez High 3

WESSON — Bulldogs head coach Dennis Hogue was not happy at all with the way his team played in the first half, and rightfully so as the Cobras appeared well on their way to a win after taking a 3-0 halftime lead.

But Natchez High (3-3) fought back, scoring three goals in the second half, including the game-tying goal by Jered Anderson in extra time off a corner kick by Jeremy Buckles.

“Jeremy had the corner kick and Jered came in from the back side and kicked it in the net,” Hogue said.

Unfortunately, the Bulldogs lost the game after converting just one penalty kick to Wesson’s two.

“We practice penalty kicks all the time,” Hogue said. “Three of our corner kicks were right at their keeper.”

Wesson got its first two goals of the first half from No. 9, the first at the 6th minute and the second at the 17th minute. The Cobras then got a goal from No. 18 at the 28th minute to take a 3-0 lead.

“We were on our heels. We weren’t hustling. They came out like gangbusters,” Hogue said of the first half. “I was frustrated with the first half and was real pleased with the second half.”

The second half, however, was completely different as the Bulldogs came out more aggressive – much to the delight of Hogue. Ross Smith scored their first goal at the 17th minute.

Later in the half, Hogue put Buckles out in the field and replace him at goalkeeper with Marcus Hargrave. The moved paid off as Buckles scored with an assist from Smith at the 31st minute to cut Wesson’s lead to 3-2.