One dead, one injured after shooting

Published 11:17 pm Thursday, August 23, 2007

NATCHEZ — A 20-year-old man died Wednesday night after being shot in the head, apparently in a dispute over drugs.

Police responded to a shooting at 11:45 p.m. at 105 Jackson St., Police Chief Mike Mullins said.

“We have evidence of bullets entering the house from the outside,” Mullins said. “We also have evidence people returned fire from inside the house.”

Email newsletter signup

Four people were inside the house when the shooting happened, Mullins said.

“We believe there are at least two suspects involved in this incident,” he said. “We believe the suspects came to the house and were not already there.”

David Smith, 21, 105 Jackson St., ran out of the house when the shooting started, Mullins said.

Smith was shot twice in the forearm, taken to Natchez Regional Medical Center and was released, Mullins said.

When the shooting was over, police found Gregory Antoine Henderson, 20, dead from a gunshot wound.

In the room with him, police found roughly eight small bags of marijuana on a table and a handgun.

“We have evidence the drugs on the table were being divided up for sale,” Mullins said. “That’s the only evidence we have for motive right now.”

Another handgun was found in another room, and a shotgun was found in the front yard, Mullins said.

“All these guns were used in this incident,” he said.

Police have identified suspects, but no arrests have been made.

No one else was injured.

A cash reward is being offered for information on the case, Mullins said. Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers at 601-442-5000.

Henderson suffered at least two gunshot wounds, Adams County Coroner James Lee said.

An autopsy will be performed at the Mississippi State Crime Lab, Lee said.

“It’s just another tragedy for Natchez as far as I’m concerned,” Lee said. “It’s just another kid who apparently dies for no reason at all.”

Jackson Street was closed all day Thursday, marked off with crime scene tape by investigators.