Franklin County QB does it all in 28-19 win

Published 1:31 am Saturday, September 8, 2007

MEADVILLE — Franklin County quarterback Jamie Collins frustrated McComb’s defense with his arm and his legs as the defending Class 3A state champion Bulldogs defeated the Class 4A Tigers 28-19 Friday night.

“We played really well. We had a few more plays than they did. We beat a good team, one of the best in 4A,” Franklin County head coach Grady McCluskey said. “Jamie played a good game tonight.”

Collins threw for 118 yards on 6-of-12 passing, including a 50-yard touchdown pass to Jarvis King on the last play of the first half to give the Bulldogs a 21-13 halftime lead. They put the game away with 8:32 to go in the third quarter on Jordan Hunt’s 5-yard touchdown run.

Email newsletter signup

Franklin County (2-0), ranked No. 1 in Class 3A, racked up 257 yards on the ground. Collins had 102 yards on 13 carries and Alex Smith had 12 carries for 85 yards and a touchdown.

McComb (1-1) was held to just 155 yards of total offense while the Bulldogs had 375 yards of total offense.

Jefferson County 41, Port Gibson 0

FAYETTE — The U.S. 61 battle between the Tigers and the Blue Waves didn’t exactly turn out to be a close game after all as quarterback Percy Turner threw three touchdowns and ran for another as the Tigers improved to 2-0.

Turner was nearly perfect, completing 14 of 16 passes for 215 yards with no interceptions. Jefferson County scored 27 points in the second quarter to put the game out of reach. Jermaine Clark had 102 yards rushing on 10 carries.

Wilkinson County 20, Newton 12

WOODVILLE — The Wildcats got two touchdown passes from Javarius Jenkins and a 47-yard fumble recovery return for a touchdown by Damien Lanus as the Wildcats defeated the Tigers Friday night for their first win since the end of the 2005 season.

“It feels good to get the monkey off our back after not winning last year,” Wilkinson County head coach John Moore said. “They (players) were very emotional.”

Because of a lengthy weather delay, the game didn’t start until 8:15 p.m.