Cathedral hangs on to get needed win over Pisgah

Published 1:08 am Saturday, October 27, 2007

SANDHILL — The Cathedral Green Wave was looking to salvage what has been a disappointing season with a win on the road Friday night against Pisgah in Region 4-1A action.

And thanks to a pair of touchdowns by Preston Edwards, one passing and one rushing, and a defense that bent but didn’t break in the fourth quarter, the Green Wave held on for a hard-fought 20-18 win over the Dragons.

Cathedral (3-6, 3-6) took a 20-6 lead into the fourth quarter. That’s when the game got interesting. David Hamilton threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Griffing with 8:50 remaining and Anthony Jones scored on a 1-yard run with just under a minute left in regulation. But both times Pisgah went for two and failed to convert.

Email newsletter signup

“The fourth quarter we tried to give the game away,” Cathedral head coach Craig Beesley said. “They blocked a punt with 3:00 left. They scored and went for two and we stopped them both times. Big for us to stop them. They were running right at us all fourth quarter.”

Edwards completed 13 of 25 passes for 208 yards, including an 85-yard touchdown pass to Braxton Fondren in the first quarter. Edwards also ran in from one yard out in the second quarter that gave the Green Wave the lead for good.

Fondren had a big night for Cathedral as he finished with six catches for 147 yards.

“Braxton had a good game receiving,” Beesley said. “They played good defense against the run. Hopefully, we’ll get one more win at the end of the year.”

Pisgah (2-7, 2-6) did a good job with its run defense, holding the Green Wave to 29 yards on the ground. The defense also forced three turnovers, but wasn’t able to capitalize on them until late in the game. However, until the fourth quarter, the Dragons’ own offense was ineffective at best and ended up with just 143 total yards.

And, oddly enough, until the Dragons tried to rally from their 14-point deficit in the final 8:50 of the game, their only touchdown of the game was on the opening kickoff, which was returned 81 yards by Donatello Luckett.