Hounds see season come to end

Published 12:18 am Wednesday, February 6, 2008

COUSHATTA, La. — Oh, what might have been for the Huntington Hounds in the first round of the MPSA District 6-A Tournament at Riverdale Academy Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately for the Hounds it was a game of missed opportunities as they were defeated by the Glenbrook Apaches 64-52 and saw their season come to an end earlier than expected.

Huntington, the East No. 2 seed, could have taken a double-digit lead if only it could have made its lay-ups — not free throws or three-pointers, but lay-ups.

“We just didn’t play well. We couldn’t take care of the ball offensively,” Hounds head coach David Boydstun said. “We missed 10 or 12 lay-ups in the first half. If we make those, we’re up 12 or 14 at halftime.”

Email newsletter signup

And if the Hounds would have been up by double digits at the break instead of being down by four, perhaps that would have forced Glenbrook, the West No. 3 seed, to change its defense.

“They went into a half-court trap and we threw the ball away a few times, but that didn’t hurt us,” Boydstun said. “We went into a press in the third quarter and cut a 10 or 12-point lead down to five. But we just never could get a good run at them at the end.”

Huntington, which finished the season with a 12-12 overall record, was led by Tyler Pere with a game-high 23 points and Jody Cottongin with 12 points. Glenbrook was led by W. Samuel with 18 points, H. Leppert with 15 points and L. Ritchie with 10 points.

Glenbrook will take on the winner of the CENLA Christian-Franklin Academy game in the second boys’ semifinal game Friday at 8 p.m.

Chamberlain-Hunt 75, ACCS 44

PORT GIBSON — A tough season for the ACCS Rebels continued Tuesday night as they were defeated by the Wildcats by 33 points in an MPSA District 3-AA game.

Chamberlain-Hunt, which is second place behind Trinity Episcopal in the district standings, had its way with ACCS (1-21, 1-6) in the first half on both ends of the court. The Wildcats jumped out to a 23-9 lead by the end of the first quarter and when halftime arrived they had a commanding 44-16 lead.

Phillip Breland led the Rebels with 16 points and Lee Swinney added 11 points.

The Wildcats had three players in double figures, led by Rickels with a game-high 24 points. Hahn finished with 13 points and White chipped in with 10 points.