Police: Woman killed husband

Published 12:00 am Friday, August 1, 2008

NATCHEZ — A Natchez woman is facing murder charges for the alleged stabbing to death of the man she married a week ago.

Douglas Fleming, 42, 1-C Sixth St., was reportedly stabbed once in the chest by Yvette Williams, 41, 1-C Sixth St.

Williams called the Natchez Police Department at 11:06 p.m. and advised them she and her husband had been arguing and she stabbed him, Police Chief Mike Mullins said.

Email newsletter signup

Robert Campbell, one of the couple’s neighbors, said he was outside, getting ready to leave, when he saw Fleming coming out of her apartment.

“She came outside and I noticed she was standing out by the stairway and crying,” he said.

Campbell said he has heard the couple argue in the past and just thought she was upset after a fight.

As he approached her to see what was wrong, he said she walked past on the telephone, asking why police officers and an ambulance hadn’t arrived yet.

He said he noticed a lot of blood on her hands.

Campbell said from that moment on, Williams never re-entered the house.

“She was (too) traumatized to go back inside,” he said of the woman who was visibly upset.

He said another one of the neighbors went into the apartment to check on Fleming.

“He was dead before the ambulance came,” Campbell said. “She walked back and said ‘I didn’t mean to do it, I didn’t mean to it, he was jumping on me,” Campbell said.

Campbell said the couple had only been living in that apartment for about four months.

Campbell said he remembers them coming back from their wedding reception last Saturday and how happy they seemed.

“You can’t judge a book by it’s cover,” he said.

Mullins confirmed that when officers arrived at the scene, Fleming was dead inside the apartment.

Williams has been charged with murder.

Fleming has a criminal history including an Aug. 4, 2007, arrest for simple assault, domestic violence.

He pleaded guilty and was convicted of the charge Aug. 6. He was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail and one year of probation.

Also, in October of 2007, an arrest warrant was issued for Fleming for telephone harassment.

Mullins said the victim who signed the warrant was not Williams.

No bond will be set for Williams until arraignment.