Kids show rescheduled due to weather
Published 12:00 am Thursday, September 11, 2008
NATCHEZ — Kids across Natchez will have to wait a bit longer for the unveiling of the Captain Natchez Show.
Carrie Lambert, Director of the Natchez Downtown Development Association, said complications from Hurricane Gustav, and the now passed threat of Ike, forced the postponement of the show.
“We made the choice over the weekend,” she said.
Email newsletter signup
The Captain Natchez Show Presents; The Cartoon Network’s Toon Takeover was originally scheduled to have debuted on Sept. 13. That date has been changed to Oct. 11.
Lambert said the show was designed as a way to give the area’s young people an activity of their own.
The event will show cartoons on a giant screen and will be hosted by Captain Natchez, a riverboat pirate.
But Gustav changed that.
Lambert said the storm caused the cancellation of a promotional radio event and power outages caused a delay in the printing of the show’s promotional flyers.
“Everything got hung up because of the storm,” she said.
Those hang-ups plus the earlier threat of Hurricane Ike, now headed for Texas, forced the cancellation.
But Lambert is taking an optimistic look at the situation.
“This gives us more time to promote the show,’ she said.
In addition to the lost radio interview and absence of flyers Lambert said she thought locals simply had more pressing issues to concentrate on in relation to Gustav.
As evidence for that, she noted lackluster ticket sales for the first show.
Lambert estimated less than 20 tickets had been sold.
She also pointed to the economic factors associated with hurricane preparations as a reason for minimal ticket sales.
“It’s not a good time financially for a lot of people,” she said. “And the city auditorium is a big place to fill.”
Tickets for the event are $5 and can be purchased from Lambert’s office by calling 601-442-2929.