Drugs and guns confiscated, Natchez man at large

Published 12:00 am Saturday, December 6, 2008

NATCHEZ — A Thursday evening drug bust took seven weapons and more than two pounds of illegal narcotics off the streets, yet yielded no arrests.

Commander of the Metro Narcotics Unit Cliff Cox said authorities arrived at the home of Walter Jones Jr. to execute a search warrant as Jones was backing his vehicle into the driveway.

Cox said as authorities arrived at the house, Jones, 23, saw them coming and fled the scene on foot.

Email newsletter signup

“He bailed on us,” Cox said.

Jones actually left the scene with such haste that he left his car in reverse, and it crashed into a utility pole as he ran.

Cox said officers at the scene were not able to apprehend Jones but are looking for him.

“That’s our goal right now,” he said of finding Jones.

And while Jones is still on the loose, authorities did seize cash, weapons and drugs from Jones’ Elbow Lane residence.

Jones is now wanted on charges of drug possession with the intent to distribute.

In addition, his prior felon status for a previous robbery has made him eligible to face charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Cox said he also believes the Mississippi Department of Corrections will issue an arrest warrant for Jones’ arrest since his parole has been violated in lieu of Thursday’s incident.

In total, authorities recovered more than $8,000 in cash, two assault rifles, one hunting rifle and four handguns.

Cox said the narcotics at the scene had a combined street value of nearly $9,500.

In total, close to one ounce of cocaine, one and a half ounces of crack cocaine and more than two and a half pounds of marijuana were confiscated.

Both Cox and Adams County Sheriff Ronny Brown said they were extremely pleased that the Linwood Neighborhood Watch Association provided the initial tip that resulted in the bust.

“That’s what we need,” Brown said. “We need their help to do work like this.”

Brown said neighbors in the area noticed heavy traffic coming and going from Jones’ residence and alerted authorities to the suspicious activity.