Cathedral finally beats rival St. Aloysius

Published 12:43 am Wednesday, November 18, 2009

NATCHEZ — After having been put out of the baseball playoffs by arch rival St. Aloysius last spring and then beaten by the Flashes in football again this fall, the Cathedral boys soccer team wanted to be the team that put an end to the Flashes dominance.

And senior midfielder Hunter Foster made sure that happened.

Foster scored four goals, including three in the first half, as the Green Wave dominated the Flashes in a 4-0 victory on a chilly Tuesday night.

Email newsletter signup

“It feels great,” Foster said. “They beat us in baseball and football, and I didn’t want to let them take another sport away from us. We put it to them.”

Cathedral coach Paul Burns said the coaches challenged the team to start strong and put it to their rivals early.

“We challenged them to start hard and quick, and they did it,” Burns said. “We got that first goal real early and then followed it up with another. After we got the second goal, I think the guys knew we were going to win.”

Foster gave the Green Wave the lead just four minutes into the match and then followed it up with another goal in the 12th minute.

The score remained 2-0 until late in the first half, when Foster pounced on a ball bouncing in the St. Al box and snuck it past the keeper on a deflection to give the Green Wave a commanding 3-0 lead at halftime.

Neither team created many scoring chances in the second half until Foster’s fourth goal of the game four minutes from the end of the game.

Foster dribbled around and through four St. Al defenders before setting the ball up just inside the 18-yard box and striking a sizzling left-footed shot into the back of the net to put a capper on Cathedral’s victory.

Foster said the fourth goal was especially sweet.

“This was the last time I got to play against (St. Al) in soccer,” Foster said. “I really wanted to get this win.”

Tuesday’s win upped Cathedral’s record to 4-0 after the Green Wave won the District Seven Tournament last Saturday.

Burns said he knew the team was going to be good after they won the tournament without many of the regular starters who were still playing football.

“We got behind in every game in the tournament and were able to come back and win each time,” Burns said. “That made me think this team will be good if we can mesh everybody together. And tonight we came together and played great.”

St. Aloysius girls 4, Cathedral 0

While the Cathedral boys defeated St. Al by a 4-0 score, the Lady Green Wave were on the wrong end of that score line.

The Flashes jumped out to a 3-0 halftime lead en route to the four-goal victory.

However, Cathedral coach David Gaudé wasn’t discouraged by the loss.

“We played pretty good,” Gaudé said. “I consider tonight to be our first real game of the season. St. Al is a good team to play and they’re hard to score against. We showed what we needed to show in order to be better next game. Friday we’ll be better prepared and play better.”

Cathedral’s girls and boys team hit the road Friday to take on North Pike before returning home to play Brookhaven next Monday.