Cathedral responds to opponent’s scoring

Published 12:21 am Friday, January 22, 2010

NATCHEZ — Just a friendly warning to the teams that Cathedral might play in the soccer playoffs next week.

Don’t score a goal. It only makes them mad.

Two days after ripping off two goals in two minutes after falling behind against Franklin County in a 2-1 win, the Green Wave scored three unanswered goals against Wesson after the Cobras had tied the score late in the first half.

Email newsletter signup

Cathedral’s 4-1 victory clinched the District 7-1A-3A championship and gave the Green Wave a home game in the first round of the 1A-3A playoffs Tuesday.

“It apparently just takes a goal against us to get us going,” Cathedral coach Paul Burns said. “I felt like we were pressing a lot in the first half. We had goal scoring opportunities but we were pushing too hard. We finally settled down in the last five minutes of the half.”

Cathedral did get on the scoreboard first when Austin Walker scored after the Wesson goalkeeper deflected a shot in front of the goal.

However, Wesson’s Tony Del Sid tied the score in the 24th minute with a goal of his own.

But it was just false hope for the Cobras, because just as they had done on Tuesday, the Green Wave scored two goals in rapid succession late in the half to seal the victory.

The first one came after Wesson was called for a hand ball in the box following a Cathedral corner kick.

The Green Wave were awarded a penalty kick, and Cole Mann buried the shot in the lower right corner of the goal to give Cathedral the lead in the 37th minute.

Hunter Foster then gave the Green Wave some cushion in the 40th minute, as he blasted a left-footed shot in the tiny space between the keeper and the left upright to give Cathedral a 3-1 halftime lead.

Foster then put the cap on Cathedral’s victory with another goal midway through the second half, in which he settled a bouncing ball with his chest in the box, and easily beat the keeper.

But despite Foster’s two goals, the star of the game might have been Cathedral’s backup goalkeeper Rodney Hall.

With starting goalkeeper Aaron Sandifer out sick, the eighth-grader Hall was pressed into emergency duty, and performed very well.

He made three nice saves early in the second half to preserve Cathedral’s two-goal lead and keep the momentum on the Green Wave’s side.

“R.D. got thrown in there and did a great job,” Burns said. “He made some really good saves in the second half.”

Cathedral (14-2, 5-1) has one more regular season game left —  Saturday against Natchez High — but Burns has already turned his attention to the playoffs.

“It will be nice to play a home playoff game in the first round,” Burns said. “The guys get to keep their regular routine and don’t have to worry about a long bus ride.”

Cathedral girls 2, Wesson 0

The Cathedral Lady Green Wave had already locked up second place in the district before Thursday’s game against Wesson, but they still wanted to finish their district season with a win, and that’s exactly what they did.

Cathedral (11-4, 7-1) got a first half goal from Maddie Kirkwood and a second half goal from Brooks Turner in their victory.

Cathedral coach David Gaude was just glad to see his team’s district schedule end, as they have played six games in the past two weeks.

“Everybody is tired right now and beat up,” Gaude said. “It’s a real effort for us right now. But I’m proud of the way they came out and played well tonight, and now we’re looking forward to the playoffs.”

The Lady Green Wave will travel Tuesday to Hattiesburg where they will take on Sacred Heart in the first round of the Class 1A-3A playoffs.