• 54°

POML to put on inaugural bass tournament Sat.

FERRIDAY — With summer rapidly approaching, the Pentecostals of the Miss-Lou are staying true to Ecclesiastes 3:1, which states there’s a season for every activity under heaven.

And warm weather means it’s time for local fishermen to hit the lakes and catch some fish.

Because of this, the church has decided to put on its first annual bass tournament, which is scheduled for Saturday. Teams will consist of two members, which will fish Lake Concordia or Lake St. John. The team that catches the five heaviest fish will be rewarded with a $1,000 first-place prize.

The Rev. Jeremy Howington, youth minister for POML, said 20 percent of the proceeds would go toward the POML youth group, with the other 80 percent going back into the tournament.

“We do several fundraisers a year,” Howington said. “We use it to take them to Six Flags or something, and they’ll be helping to work it.

“We’ll be selling catfish plates, T-shirts and door prizes at the weigh-in. Bryan’s Marine, which is helping us organize the event, has also donated a boat for us to raffle off.”

Howington said the idea came about after he and several friends heard about other bass tournaments in the area, and proposed that the church sponsor one.

“We got to talking about it one day, and thought it would be something good to do,” Howington said. “It would help us get exposure in the community, and we’re always looking for innovative ideas in reaching the community.”

Bryan’s Marine employee Joey Bryan said the tournament could also serve as a way to interact with people that other outreach efforts won’t usually reach.

“Your average outdoorsman and fisherman is not someone you’ll see if you’re going into Walmart or knocking on doors and handing out tracts,” Bryan said. “They’re usually not the ones who will answer the door, because they’re either out working, hunting or fishing. You’re not going to interact with them on a regular basis.”

Howington agreed, and said it’s also a way for outdoorsmen and church folks to find a common bond.

“I don’t know what they think of when they think of church folks, but it lets them know we’re just normal people too,” Howington said. “Meeting people outside our normal influences is one of the advantages to this, but it’s not the sole reason for it.”

Another reason for the tournament is to get the POML church family active in helping organize the event.

“Anything you do within your church family that gives them something to work for and gives them a sense of camaraderie is a good thing,” Howington said. “Even if we don’t make a lot of money it’ll be a good experience.”

Registration is $120 per team. Registration forms can be picked up at Bryan’s Marine. The weigh-in will take place between 3:30 and 4:45 p.m. Saturday in the POML parking lot. For more information, Howington can be reached at (318) 719-9156, or (318) 757-4730.

News

Trash collection one day behind schedule for Thanksgiving

News

Ferriday man sentenced to life for 2019 slaying of Natchez schoolteacher

Business

Mayor: Silver Street raising and dock plans moving forward

News

Tree lighting event is Saturday in Natchez

News

Former Natchez Alderman David Massey dies at 72

News

Stewpot ready to serve needy on Thanksgiving

News

Saturday high-speed chase began in Louisiana, ended with crash in Natchez

News

No print edition of The Democrat on Friday

News

Natchez school board cancels bid opening for new high school due to COVID-19

News

5 Miss-Lou residents die of COVID-19 over weekend

News

Remains found in Natchez neighborhood

News

The Dart: Natchez resident loves music

News

Coroner: A Natchez woman dies with COVID-19 Sunday

DEVELOPING NEWS

Suspect in high-speed vehicle chase arrested in Natchez

BREAKING NEWS

Natchez Police investigating Saturday shooting that injured two people

News

Coroner: Two Ferriday men died with COVID-19 Saturday at Merit Health Natchez

News

Natchez freedmen and women largely funded Emancipation Monument in Washington, D.C.

News

Adams County coroner loses 25-year-old granddaughter to COVID-19, urges compliance with health guidelines

News

35-year-old Ferriday resident dies with COVID-19 as cases, hospitalizations continue rising

News

‘American Pickers’ star Mike Wolfe picks Natchez

News

COVID-19 numbers spike locally just before holidays

News

Norm Yvon resigns as lead administrator of Cathedral School

BREAKING NEWS

ACCS falls to Leake Academy in MAIS Class 5A state championship

News

Second suspect arrested in Tuesday armed robbery