Cathedral soccer gets late-night win

Published 12:00 am Sunday, December 19, 2010

BROOKHAVEN — It was cold, wet and late, but the Cathedral varsity boy’s soccer team finally got what it came for: a win.

The Green Wave defeated Loyd Star 3-2 in penalty kick shootouts, improving its record to 7-2 overall, 3-0 in regional play. But the victory did not come easily.

Cathedral scored two goals in the first half, but allowed Loyd Star to come back and tie the game in the second half. After the first round of penalty kick shootouts, Green Wave keeper Blake Martin played the role of hero.

Email newsletter signup

“In the first round (of penalty kick shootouts), he made a one-handed save on a kick that would have given them the win,” Cathedral assistant coach Paul Burns said.

“In the second round, their first player missed, and Blake was our next shooter. He not only made the save that kept us in the game, he buried the PK that put us over.”

Burns said the game was both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.

“We didn’t get in until 1 in the morning,” Burns said. “If it wouldn’t have been misty rain the whole time, it would have been more fun. But if we lost, it would have been less fun, so we’re happy to get a win.”

The Green Wave led 2-0 at the half after two goals by Kyle Bradley and Nolan Vaughn. In the opening 15 minutes of play, Brent Gaudé got the assist on a cross from about 25 to 30 yards away, Burns said. Bradley then hit the ball in on a header.

The second goal was a free kick from Vaughn about 30 yards away.

“The keeper probably misjudged the ball on that kick,” Burns said. “It hit the ground and went right past him into the net.”

During intermission, Burns said he stressed the importance of keeping Loyd Star at bay in the opening minutes of the second half.

“I told the kids the first 15 minutes were key,” he said. “If we put one in, great, as long as they don’t score.

“Well, guess what? Ten minutes in, they scored their first goal, and got another one about 15 minutes later to tie the game. Both teams had one more chance (to score) after that, but ended up tying.”

Since it was so late, Loyd Star and Cathedral decided to go straight to penalty kick shootouts, instead of opting for a possible two overtime periods. Austin Walker, Gaudé and Cavin Skidmore hit all three of their penalty kicks, and Martin got the key save to send it into the sudden death round of penalty kicks.

The Green Wave have a break until Jan. 3, when they host Adams County Christian.