Despite hard hits, Cathedral season ends

Published 12:05 am Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ben Hillyer/The Natchez Democrat — Cathedral’s Khalil Brice tries to comfort a grief stricken Jake Brown Monday evening after the Green Wave were eliminated from the playoffs. The Nanih Waiya Warriors beat the Green Wave 6-3.

NATCHEZ — Cathedral School’s bats made contact with the pitches Nanih Waiya threw Monday. Oftentimes, though, they just hit the ball right at the Warriors’ fielders.

Cathedral pelted out eight hits against Nanih Waiya, but only had two runs to show for it in a 6-2 loss in the third round of the MHSAA Class 1A playoffs.

The loss eliminated the Green Wave from the postseason, giving Cathedral a 17-7 record to end the season.

Email newsletter signup

“We couldn’t get any breaks to go our way,” Cathedral coach Craig Beesley said. “We hit the ball hard, just right at them. Their defense had a good game. Their shortstop (Luke Rosamond) made some good plays.”

Nanih Waiya starter Colby Eaves got the start for the Warriors, pitching all seven innings and limiting Cathedral to two runs. He was the same pitcher that started Game 1 Friday, in which Cathedral managed eight runs off him in a 10-8 loss.

Ben Hilllyer/The Natchez Democrat — Cathedral’s Blake Martin slides safely into second base Monday evening as Nanih Waiya’s Luke Rosemond attempt to make the tag.

Beesley said Eaves’ command allowed his team’s defense to keep Cathedral’s offense at bay despite the Green Wave bats making consistent contact.

“He didn’t do anything special, he just threw strikes and put the ball in play,” Beelsey said. “Their defense was exceptional. They made all the plays.”

Rosamond got the first run of the game for Nanih Waiya in the top of the first, scoring from third on a long single by Eaves that reached the center field wall.

Nanih Waiya got the first two batters to reach base in the top of the second, but Cathedral starter Tyler Morrison picked both of them off at first and second on separate plays after they reached. He came out of the inning unscathed, giving the Green Wave a chance to get the run back in the bottom of the frame.

They would do so when Jake Brown came home on a single by Austin Chauvin, tying the game 1-1. Cathedral had several more runners reach base, but a double play and a flyout by Cathedral ended the Green Wave’s chances of taking the lead.

The Warriors quickly made it 4-1 in the top of the third. Hunter Luke came home on an RBI single by Hunter Swart. A fielding error by Kyle Bradley at second for Cathedral allowed another run to score, and a walk by Stewart Ball with the bases loaded scored Swart.

In the top of the fourth, a solo home run by Luke made it 5-2 Warriors. Cathedral made it 5-3 in the bottom of the fourth when Blake Martin came home from third while the Warriors were busy trying to get Barrett Young out in a rundown between first and second.

But Cathedral went scoreless for the rest of the game, while Nanih Waiya added another run in the top of the sixth on an RBI single by Eaves.

Morrison got the loss, pitching 5 1/3 innings while giving up six runs on eight hits. He walked four and struck out two.

“I was hoping to get four innings out of Tyler, and I got 5 1/3,” Beesley said. “I was pleased with his performance on the mound. I thought there were a couple of plays we could’ve made to back him up.”

Cathedral will graduate four seniors from this year’s team: Morrison, Brown, Young and Rudy Lazarus.